So what is Ugu Leaf Called in English? Ugu Leaf is that vegetable that cuts across the different tribes in Nigeria.
And it is a Funny fact that most of us dont know what our favorite leaf is called in English.
Ugu is called pumpkin leaf.
But we shall be going a little bit further with this one.
Common names for the plant include
fluted gourd , fluted pumpkin , ugu (in the Igbo language ), and ikong-ubong (in the Efik/Ibibio language ). T. occidentalis is a member of the
Cucurbitaceae family and is indigenous to southern Nigeria .
The plant is a drought-tolerant , dioecious perennial that is usually grown trellised .
Coconut Oil Nutritional Value
When i first case across that question “what is Ugu Leaf Called in English?” i was conveyed, thus this post.
- The plant is a drought-tolerant , dioecious perennial that is usually grown trellised.
- The seeds produced by the gourd are high in protein and fat, and can, therefore, contribute to a well-balanced diet.
- Telfairia occidentalis is a tropical vine grown in West Africa as a leaf vegetable and for its edible seeds .
- The fluted gourd grows in many nations of West Africa, but is mainly cultivated in
Igboland and Calabarland and it is used primarily in soups and herbal medicines.
- The leaves contain a high amount of antioxidants and hepatoprotective and antimicrobial properties.
- The scientific name is Telfairia occidentalis.
I hope it was informative enough and i hope when next you are confronted with the question: “what is Ugu Leaf Called in English”
You will know what to say.
The answer is “pumpkin leaf”
The post What is Ugu Leaf Called in English appeared first on Naturally Healthy Talk.