Of the different plants that offer medicinal and nutritional benefits for people’s Health, we rarely think of Cactus, right? Cacti are, most of the time, ornamental plants with a unique appearance and very easy to maintain. However, there are some cactus species that are useful in the field of health and medicine and can be used both externally and internally. However, not all cacti are edible or applicable to the skin or hair.
Therefore, in this article of Green Health Tips we tell you what are the benefits of the cactus for health and what are the most commonly used species in this regard. Take note!
Benefits of the cactus tuna for health
The cactus scientifically known as Opuntia ficus-indica is a species present in several areas of Central and South America. This plant commonly known as cactus or prickly pear , depending on the country, is increasingly in demand worldwide for its properties and benefits. In fact, it is used both to improve aspects of health care and beauty. Thus, to benefit from its properties, it can be taken in juice, eaten in some dishes or applied as creams or masks. Take note of the main benefits of cactus cactus for health :
- It contains pectin, a biochemical component that reduces cholesterol levels in the body.
- Pectin is a useful chemical for diabetic patients, as it helps reduce the need for insulin.
- It is an excellent source of vegetable protein that helps eliminate fluid retention in the body. It is also useful for vegetarians who seek to supplement their protein levels with sources of this type.
- The nopal is an excellent source of fiber and therefore, helps in digestion, regulates the functioning of the intestine, helps regulate the absorption of water and can help to lose weight. Constipation can be treated, since it regulates and acts as a natural laxative.
- Its fruits are stores of water, nutrients such as vitamins A, C, B6 and K and also contain high levels of calcium and magnesium.
- Reduction and prevention of inflammation in the muscles.
- The oil of the seeds of this cactus, in addition, is widely used throughout the world and increasingly to treat hair, skin and nails. It has highly nutritious properties, providing the mentioned vitamins and minerals, as well as very moisturizing properties. In fact, one of its main uses is to reduce dark circles considerably.
Properties and benefits of the hoodia cactus for health
Hoodia gordonii is the scientific name of this other cactus beneficial to our health. It is a plant from the African desert of the Kalahari, but now we can find it in many other places. In this case, the most common uses of this cactus focus on treating and caring for our interior, instead of also applying it to the exterior. The main benefits of the hoodia cactus for our health are the following:
- It regulates intestinal transit, helping to treat constipation.
- It serves to eliminate retained liquids, since it has diuretic properties.
- It is commonly used to lose weight, either by consuming the cactus directly, its juice or the capsules that are on the market. They are the glycosides that it contains, like the oxipregnans, which give it the ability to act on our hypothalamus, specifically in the point that regulates satiety, making our hunger sensation diminish.
- It provides antioxidant vitamins that help improve the skin, hair and other tissues, such as cartilage.
It is very important not to overdo this last use, since it can be dangerous if it is not controlled well. Therefore, the indicated dose is usually 200 mg per day, although you should consult with the doctor in each case and read the recommendations of the capsule container.
Discover in this other article by Green Health Tips some of the best satiating foods that help you lose weight.
Caralluma cactus, plant very beneficial for health
Finally, the caralluma cactus, scientifically named Caralluma fimbriata , is another of these beneficial plants to take care of our health. It is a cactus native to India and its
- It contains fibers, flavonoids, glycosides and sapionins, as well as various minerals and vitamins.
- It is very satiating, since it acts on the hormone ghrelin or ghrelin that secretes in the stomach and regulates the sensation of hunger. So, by slowing the segregation of this hormone, the caralluma cactus makes us less hungry. In addition, we must bear in mind that due to the amount of fiber it contains, consuming little quantity we already feel fuller and fuller, because the fibers hydrate easily and take up space in the stomach.
- In addition, these fibers, as we have seen in the case of nopal, help regulate the body regulating blood glucose and cholesterol. Also, these fibers are optimal to help prevent and treat some conditions in the kidneys.
- It is also a plant with anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, which come from the combination of the different nutrients mentioned above.
Side effects and contraindications of cactus for health
Although they have very important benefits in our health, it is always advisable to consult the doctor before deciding to consume some type of cactus, in whatever format. In addition, you have to take into account the cases in which you should never take any of these plants. So, these are the contraindications of cactus for health :
- Children under 12 years old.
- Infants and mothers during lactation period.
- People with digestive problems such as diarrhea, irritable bowel or ulcers.
- If you are already taking a medication treatment or other medicinal herbs to lose weight.
It is also advisable to know the possible side effects of taking cactus :
- If they are taken in excess they can produce digestive affections, such as gas, constipation and stomach pains.
- If consumed in excess or taken at the same time as hunger-regulating medications, as part of a weight loss treatment, the feeling of fullness may be so constant that we do not get to feed properly. This can cause serious problems such as malnutrition, anorexia and excessive weight loss.
This article is purely informative, in Green Health Tips we do not have the faculty to prescribe medical treatments or make any kind of diagnosis. We invite you to go to a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Benefits of cactus for health , we recommend you to enter our category of Food.