Do you want to improve the appearance of your Skin naturally? Then you should know the positive effects that turmeric has on the dermis, since it is a plant that has been used for several centuries in natural medicine, especially in India, as a very effective product to treat numerous conditions and improve our appearance, as well as being a very prized spice in the kitchen. The most outstanding properties of the root of this plant are its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant power. As this is a natural product and easy to get in this article from Green Health Tips we explain the benefits of turmeric for the skin and how you should use it to achieve spectacular results.
Top Benefits of Turmeric for Skin
This root native to India has been used over time in numerous home remedies both for health and to take care of our appearance and especially it has been widely used in traditional and natural medicine as well as in the kitchen, being one of the most widely used spices in the world. In addition, due to its strong pigmentation has been widely used to create natural pigments and dyes.
Thus, among the main components of the turmeric root that give it all its beneficial properties for health we find that it has a high content of fiber, curcumin, vitamins A and C, minerals such as calcium, manganese or chromium and organic acids such as caffeic acid. Thanks to this composition there are multiple benefits of turmeric for the skin , as well as for other aspects of our health.
- Natural and soothing anti-inflammatory : this plant is highly appreciated for its great ability to deflate and relieve skin conditions such as eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis and hives, thanks to its anti-inflammatory and emollient properties.
- Antioxidant: Turmeric has a powerful antioxidant effect that will help prevent premature aging of the skin and eliminate fine lines and reduce marked wrinkles.
- Moisturizer and sebum regulator: it is a good remedy to treat dry skin as well as to treat oily skin and acne skin. As it helps regulate the production of sebum in the dermis, the appearance of pimples and pimples is reduced in a short time while getting the skin to retain more water.
- Cicatrizante: when the wounds are already closed or when red streaks appear this natural product helps in the production of collagen, activates the blood circulation and thus helps the regeneration of the dermis. Because of this, it is widely used to help reduce recent stretch marks and heal wounds and burns. But it is important in these latter cases not to apply it when it has still bleeding, since it activates the blood flow.
- It clears the skin: it is considered that the habitual consumption of turmeric helps that the tone of the skin is uniform and that the spots disappear little by little.
Take turmeric for skin care
The best way to take full advantage of the benefits of turmeric for the skin is to take or consume it directly, that is to say use it internally. So, for example, we can include this root in the form of spice or powder in our food, take advantage of some of the best recipes for main courses and side dishes to take, for example in meat dishes such as chicken or vegetable dishes.
Also, another way to maximize these benefits for both the skin and our body is to take it in the form of tea or infusion. To prepare a turmeric tea to treat the skin you will have to follow these steps:
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 handful of chamomile
- 1 tablespoon natural honey
- 2 cups water
Preparation and treatment
- Bring the water to a boil and add the chamomile when it starts to boil.
- Remove and reduce heat to simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain the mixture to remain alone with the tea in a large glass.
- Add turmeric and honey and stir until well blended and even.
You can take a tea or infusion of this root once a day while you need to treat a problem of the dermis and later you can reduce the dose to between 2 and 4 times a month .
You may also be interested in this other Green Health Tips article on Turmeric and Ginger Slimming Tea: Benefits and how to prepare it.
Turmeric for acne and oily skin
It is not recommended the frequent use or in large quantity of this spice applied directly on the skin, since due to its strong yellow or orange pigmentation can stain it. But in cases where faster action is needed to deflate, soothe, disinfect or regulate sebum, masks can be made that contain this plant, although in a moderate amount and for a short time. For example, if the main problem is acne or oily skin you can make the following mask:
Turmeric Mask for Oily Skin and Acne
Other natural ingredients that are very indicated for these problems of the dermis by its regulating effect are natural yogurt and orange . So make a mask that one of these three ingredients will be one of the best options to treat the skin:
Top with 1 teaspoon turmeric, 2 tablespoons natural yogurt without added sugars and 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice. When you have the uniform mixture apply the mask on the face with the help of a brush, making sure that the most affected areas are well covered and let it act for a maximum of 15 minutes. When finished, remove the mask with plenty of cold water and dry your face with a clean towel and soft touches. You can do this mask 2 times a week until you notice that the problem improves a lot and from then on, we recommend that you do it 2 or 3 times a month to keep the skin in good condition.
Contraindications and side effects of turmeric
This root so beneficial to many aspects of our health and especially to care for the skin is also contraindicated in some situations and has some side effects. Thus, the contraindications of turmeric are the following:
- Pregnancy and lactation Pregnant and lactating women should not take this root because it has an emmenagogue effect, stimulating blood flow especially in the area of the uterus and pelvis.
- Before surgery: Before undergoing a surgical operation it is not advised to consume this plant because of its stimulating effect on the blood circulation.
- Anticoagulant treatments: those who are taking anticoagulant medication should avoid the consumption of this plant as it may interfere with the effect of the medication.
- Stones in the gallbladder: it is not advised to use gall stones because stimulating this part of the body can produce strong colic.
Also, the side effects of turmeric when taken at times contraindicated or when we exceed the doses are as follows:
- Allergy and contact dermatitis: it is possible to present allergy both in direct contact with the root and with the powder.
- Biliary colic is contraindicated if this problem is suffered and one of the negative effects if this is ignored is that it can produce strong colics due to its choleretic properties, cholagogues and cholecystokinestic that activate the gallbladder.
This article is for information only, in Green Health Tips we have no power to prescribe medical treatments or make any kind of diagnosis. We invite you to go to a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more similar articles to Turmeric: skin benefits , we recommend that you come to our Cosmetic Treatments category.