The sancocho is one of the best known of Canarian cuisine especially the island of Gran Canaria dishes. Explained more or less easily, we could define the canary sancocho as a typical traditional dish of the Canary Islands, which is made from salted fish (usually cherne, donkey or corvina), which is accompanied by boiled potatoes, sweet potatoes and Mojo (red or green).
Besides fish salty this dish is accompanied with other wonderful ingredients besides those already mentioned above, such as is the case of the exquisite pellet Gofio, consisting of a plate of gofio with own cooking water fish. It is also common to add some ripe banana.
If you dare to make your own sancocho at home, and you want to taste one of the most traditional dishes of Canarian cuisine, then facilitate how to make sancocho, the popular lump of gofio and mojo with which it is associated. We must consider before making sancocho put the fish soak the day before and make water changes needed at least 4 or 5 changes.
Sancocho canario recipe cherne
- A kilo or half kilo of salted cherne.
- 2 onions (for parboil the fish).
- 3 sprigs parsley (for parboiling fish).
- 700 grams of potatoes.
- 400 grams of yellow sweet potato.
Ingredients for Red Mojo:
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced.
- A teaspoon of sweet pepper.
- A teaspoon of cumin.
- A tip of picona red pepper.
- Extra virgin olive oil, 8 tablespoons.
- Wine vinegar, 4 tablespoons.
- Coarse salt.
Ingredients for pella gofio:
- A glass broth sancochar fish.
- Gofio millet to thicken and form the pellet gofio.
- Once we desalted the fish, we remove the soaked and cut it into pieces medianitos.
- We put water in a pot to heat parboil the fish.
- When the water starts boiling add the fish, onions, parsley and cook for 30 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove the fish from the fire, we get the fish water and strain the broth.
- We discard onions and parsley.
- We broth cast in a pot and add the halved potatoes and sweet potatoes also, cook with moderate heat.
- When the potatoes are almost ready add the fish and continue cooking until potatoes are tender.
- Remove the fire pot, and extract the fish, a glass reserve broth to make gofio pellet.
- Then we scurried potatoes and sweet potatoes and reserved for red or red mojo sauce.
Preparation of the pellet gofio:
- In a bowl we put the fish broth parboiling booked.
- Then we gradually adding spoonfuls of gofio, stirring until thickened.
- Once you have thickened will work with your hands to form a lump of gofio which can shape bread and cut into wheels and then serve them individually.
- Remove the skin of the garlic cloves, finely chop and the put them in a mortar-
- Remove the seeds and chop hot pepper.
- In addition to mortar the garlic we put red pepper, cumin, paprika, salt grains and crush all good.
- Add vinegar, oil and stir slowly for ingredients are well connected.
- Then we put the red mojo sauce in a small bowl or gravy boat to take him to the table.
In a large tray we have all the parboiled fish, boiled potatoes, sweet potatoes, gofio pellets, one per person and mojo in your gravy boat to accompany the sancocho.
Sancocho we serve on individual plates.
We hope you are encouraged to prepare some of these recipes that will please everyone.