One of the most known and popular dishes can say Canarian cuisine is the sancocho . A wonderful and excellent dish with exquisite taste, prepared with salted fish. In the Canaries, in fact, it is very common that when we have more than enough fish which have prepared the sancocho, preparing a delicious seize the encebollado .
Yes, the jugged fish well prepared with salted fish stew left over we can also be made with fresh fish. Another option for preparing jugged fish is to buy salted fish to the encebollado.
If we decided salted fish should consider putting soaking to desalt the day before and give water changes, at least 4 changes. Fish that can be found are the cherne salty, donkey, sea bass or sea bass.
Encebollado fish recipe
- Salted fish or fresh fish, half a kilo.
- 5 onions cut into squares.
- 4 ripe tomatoes, seeded and troceaditos.
- 2 clean and diced red peppers.
- 2 green peppers and diced clean.
- 6 cloves of garlic peeled and chopped.
- A teaspoon of sweet pepper.
- A pinch of ground black pepper.
- 2 bay leaves.
- 2 sprigs of fresh or dried thyme.
- 4 nails.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- 200 ml. white cooking wine.
- 200 ml. of water.
- Optional (only if it is fresh fish), salt.
- A pinch of turmeric.
- If you prepare the fish with salted fish encebollado we have left the sancocho remove the skin, the bones and chop or desmigajamos.
- Should we have bought salted fish and we’ve previously desalting, before making encebollado, we cook or parboil the fish.
- We got soaking fish and cut into pieces.
- We will put in a pot to boil water and when it begins to boil put the fish to cook for 30 minutes with an onion and a sprig of parsley.
- Once the fish is boiled, remove from heat and drain them, discard the onion and parsley. Let the fish cool to remove the bones, skin and desmigajarlo or cut it with your hands.
- We reserve the fish in a pot, while we are preparing frying. In a frying pan a little olive oil to heat soften onions.
- When the onions are almost ready add the diced pepper, minced garlic teeth, the troceaditos tomatoes, and cook Remove yourself for 5 minutes with moderate heat.
- Then we add to frying sweet paprika, ground black pepper, thyme, cloves and stir everything well.
- Let cook with low heat for 2 or 3 minutes. Add the wine to frying and give a boil with moderate heat. Remove fire frying and pour over the salted fish we have in the cauldron.
- Then pour over water, a little turmeric and cooked fish encebollado for 30 minutes with low heat and stirring frequently.
- We put out the fire and have jugged fish on a tray or source to bring it to the table and serve on individual plates.
Jugged fish can accompany it with some boiled potatoes, boiled potatoes and a salad.