Pack a healthy, budget-friendly lunch using this recipe for a Chicken and Brown Rice bowl. Grilled lean chicken is served alongside a portion of brown rice tossed with celery, onion, peas and carrots that’s dressed in a lemon-mustard sauce. It’s a zingy lunch filled with protein and fiber to fuel you ’till dinner!
Chicken & Brown Rice Bowl
- 1/2 cup (95 grams) uncooked brown rice (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 24 ounces (680 grams) uncooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Dash salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 teaspoons + 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1 medium lemon)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup (75 grams) chopped celery (about 2 stalks)
- 1/2 cup (70 grams) diced onion (about ½ small onion)
- 1 1/2 cups (195 grams) frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1/4 cup (10 grams) chopped basil
Cook brown rice according to package directions.
To grill chicken, preheat grill to high. Place chicken breasts between two pieces of wax paper and, using a meat mallet, pound to 1/2-inch thickness. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper, and lightly rub with 2 teaspoons olive oil. To prevent sticking, lightly oil the grill grate before adding chicken. Cook chicken until firm to the touch, about 2-3 minutes per side. (Alternatively, you may bake or cook chicken in a skillet on the stovetop until firm and opaque throughout.)
In a large bowl, whisk together remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, honey, lemon juice and Dijon mustard. Add celery, onion, peas and carrots, and brown rice; toss to coat. Divide rice mixture into 4 servings (about 3/4 cups rice mixture or 137 grams each). Top each with about 4 ounces grilled chicken. Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 3/4 cup rice mixture + about 4 ounces cooked chicken
Per serving: Calories: 388; Total Fat: 17g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 8g; Cholesterol: 79mg; Sodium: 363mg; Carbohydrate: 28g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 9g; Protein: 30g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 470mg; Iron: 11%; Vitamin A: 35%; Vitamin C: 21%; Calcium: 3%
Energizing Tips (optional)
- Slice a hardboiled egg for each bowl to bump up protein and calories. (Per serving: Calories: 466; Fat: 22g; Carbohydrate: 29g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 9g; Protein: 36g)
Photo Credit: Demi Tsasis
from Under Armour http://ift.tt/1Nqie5f