What is Tennis Elbow?
Tennis Elbow, or Lateral Epicondylitis, is characterised as the inflammation of the tendons attached to the outside of the elbow and the extensor muscles, located along the top of the forearm. The inner and outer forearm and bicep muscles engage in the use of the arms, wrist, elbow, hands and fingers.
What Causes Tennis Elbow?
Tennis Elbow is generally considered to be an over-use condition, occurring due to repetitive actions of the wrist, thereby involving use of the muscles of the forearm, and tendons of the elbow. Although called ‘Tennis Elbow’, some of the many activities that commonly contribute to the condition, include many hobbies, sports, the use of computers and smart phones.
Some of the typical symptoms of Tennis Elbow include:
- Tenderness on the outside of the elbow
- Stiffness of the elbow joint
- Soreness of the forearm muscles
- Pain when holding or grasping an object
What Treatment Options are Available?
At Melbourne Natural Therapies, our qualified and experienced remedial massage therapists utilise a range of techniques in conjunction with remedial massage, myotherapy and myofascial cupping, in order to reduce both the symptoms and occurrence of Tennis Elbow.
Some of the many benefits of remedial massage in the treatment of tennis elbow include:
- Increased nutrient-rich blood supply assisting healing
- Increased fluid movement thereby reducing inflammation
- Assists the prevention of soft tissue injury
- Increases recovery from injury
- Maintains soft tissue functionality
- Lengthens and separates muscle and connective tissues
- Passively stretches tissue assisting increased range of motion of joints
Although the management of daily activities may be necessary to reduce the occurrence of tennis elbow, many of our Melbourne clients find that aside from rest, regular remedial massage is the most beneficial factor in the improvement and prevention of Tennis Elbow.
If you are experiencing Tennis Elbow symptoms and would like to incorporate remedial massage or myotherapy into your recovery regime, give us a call or book online.
Melbourne Combined Natural Therapies
Remedial Massage | Myotherapy
03 9645 9923
Remedial Massage Melbourne