Obesity (BMI or Body Mass Index of 30 or more is obesity) and overweight (BMI 25-29.9 is overweight) are not only problems of rich, prosperous and developed nations (as they have more money to buy foods and eat more than required); they are problems in developing world too. Therefore, we can say obesity is a global problem and global phenomena. Different experts advice different ways to tackle these global problems.
One of the major problems in obesity and overweight is excess eating, by overweight obese individual. If you read this article fully and follow it, you can eat as much as you want or as much as you can, but need not to worry about weight gain. In fact eating certain foods liberally can help to keep body weight under control as well as help in reducing body weight.
- Salad: eating salad (high fiber and low in calorie) along with meals can reduce your total calorie intake significantly. To reduce calorie intake further, you can eat salad before meals. Eating salad regularly ensures your daily-recommended vegetable intake, which provides essential nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fibers etc. You can add some olive oil and salt and black pepper to make salad enjoyable, but do not dress salad with fatty foods. You can eat salad as much as you want and not bother about weight gain from this food.
- Green tea: we all know health benefits of green tea. It is full of antioxidants, that are essential to keep free radicals away, that harm normal cells of the body. Green tea can be a perfect pre-workout drink, as it can increase your stamina and help you to exercise more and reduce weight as a result. Drink at least 4-5 cups of green tea daily.
- Lentils: lentils are poplar in India and neighboring countries. Eating lentils, is like eating meat, minus saturated fats and high calories associated with meat eating. Lentils are packed with high protein, folate and fiber. In India lentils and other pulses are known as poor men’s meat, but they are eaten by poor and rich alike. All these qualities of lentil makes it ideal weight loss food to add in your daily menu. Add lentils in your daily diet and reduce body weight fast.
- Celery: it is one of the highly rated foods that can help in weight loss by obese individuals. Celery has high fiber, folate and other vitamins. Do not forget to add celery in your daily salad. When you feel like eating/chewing something, you can much celery.
- Dark chocolate: Surprised to dark chocolate in this list. Well, dark chocolate has high fat as well as high calorie, but it is also rich in antioxidants. You can have dark chocolate instead of sweets, when you get desire to eat sweet. It is also not easy to much on high amount of high quality dark chocolate, unlike milk based stuffs.
- Grapefruit: eating grapefruit before meal can help in reducing food intake. Grapefruits have high phytochemicals, which helps in converting calorie into energy, instead of storing it as fats and help in reducing weight. Add grapefruit in your daily diet.
Additionally add some commonly used spices such as cinnamon and chili pepper in your daily diet to boost your metabolism and help to keep your body weight under control. You need to add just a quarter of teas spoonful of cinnamon to get benefits (such as reducing post meal insulin spike which makes you feel hungry, it can also lower the blood sugar, cholesterol, and triglyceride levels). So, add cinnamon powder in your breakfast tea or breakfast itself and get the health benefits of cinnamon. Adding chili pepper is like adding heat to your meal. Capsaicin present in chilies has appetite suppressant properties and reduce obesity.
Add spice to your food habits, at the same time keep your body weight ideal with help of the above-mentioned foods, and remain healthy.
NB: This post was originally posted on 8th July, 2013. Republishing it today with some editing and modification.