This is yet another important and useful information that we should take note of. So, parents, remember to educate your child’s caregiver including your maids. Also do a complete check in your house and if possible, also check the place where your child spends his/her days when you are working/away.
I copied these from the American Academy of Pediatrics website.
To poison proof your home:
Most poisonings occur when parents or caregivers are home but not paying attention. The most dangerous potential poisons are medicines, cleaning products, antifreeze, windshield wiper fluid, pesticides, furniture polish, gasoline, kerosene and lamp oil.
1) Store medicine, cleaners, paints/varnishes and pesticides in their
original packaging in locked cabinets or containers, out of sight and reach of children.
2) Install a safety latch – that locks when you close the door – on
child-accessible cabinets containing harmful products.
3) Purchase and keep all medicines in containers with safety caps.
Discard unused medication
4) Never refer to medicine as “candy” or another appealing name.
5) Check the label each time you give a child medicine to ensure proper dosage.
6) Never place poisonous products in food or drink containers.
7) Keep coal, wood or kerosene stoves in safe working order.
8) Maintain working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
Do use the ‘Send this to a friend’ button found on the right side panel and share these few tips with all your friends who are parents or caring for small children.
Originally posted 2006-03-30 01:11:10.