Hip Waders are basically boots that rise up to your hip level.
They're also known as 'hip boots' and frequently employed by fishermen and hunters so that they can wade into deeper waters while on the hunt.
Our top pick is the Hodgman Mackenzie Fishing Waders. They've received primarily positive buyer feedback in our research.
When donned, they rest just above your chest and, for the most part, buyers say that they're water proof. The only problem is that if the boot fit is tight, they have a tendency to uncomfortably compress in deep waters and pinch your ankles.
What are hip waders?
Hip waders or hip boots are boots that cover the entire leg, and sometimes go up to the chest. They’re used mainly for fishing, such as fly fishing, allowing fishermen to wade out into the water and remain dry (Source).
How do they work?
Most hip waders are made of rubber or PVC or a combination of the two. These materials are waterproof and designed to keep you dry when wading into high water.
Most buyers suggest, when looking for hip waders, to look for materials that are 3.5-5mm thick for durability and better insulation. Also, most people wear these for long hours, so look for something that’s breathable. Lastly, look for a pair that is easy to get on and take off (Source).
Comparing The Options
|Hip Waders||Our Rating||Price ($)|
|The Allen Black River Bootfoot Hip Waders||4.0||$$|
|The Frogg Toggs Rana II PVC/Nylon Hip Waders||3.9||$$|
|The Hodgman Mackenzie Nylon and PVC Cleated Bootfoot Chest Fishing Waders||4.1||$$|
|The Allen Company Dillon 2Ply Camo Hip Wader Boot||4.1||$$|
|The Hodgman GMWDE Gamewade PVC Packable Chest Waders||3.0||$|
How Do They Compare
We took a look at 5 popular hip waders and note the features and what buyers thought.
- The Hodgman Gamewade PVC Packable Chest Wader is 25mm PVC material and features an interior storage pocket, elastic webbing and shoulder straps that make them easy to get on and take off. Includes a storage bag for easy packing. Some users said the legs run long, which causes a lot of bunching up, which can be uncomfortable for shorter people. Also, these aren’t insulated, which means they won’t keep you warm in cold weather.
- Next is the Allen Company Dillion 2 Ply Camo Hip Wader Boot, which features the Realtree Max-5 camouflage design for a great look, and cleated soles on the boots for extra grip on slippery surfaces. Users say these waders are very comfortable and can be worn on long fishing trips, however, they’re too thin for cold weather. Best used in spring and summer.
- The Hodgman Mackenzie Nylon and PVC Cleated Bootfoot Chest Fishing Waders are a bit different than the others in that these go all the way up to your chest. While waders like this can often be heavy and uncomfortable, these weigh 35% less than other similar waders. Cleated boot gives you a better grip on slippery surfaces. Some buyers say these waders are water repellant rather than waterproof, though.
- Next is the Frogg Toggs Rana II PVC/Nylon Hip Waders, which also feature a cleated boot to help when things get slick. Also, like the other waders we looked at, these aren’t insulated and are better suited for warmer temperatures. These hip waders employ adjustable belt leashes with quick-release locking buckles, which makes them easy to get on and off. Some buyers felt the soles were too thin and uncomfortable for walking on rocky surfaces.
- Last up is the Allen Black River Bootfoot Hip Waders, which use a 2 ply construction to ensure the water stays out. Like other hip waders we looked at, these also feature a cleated sole and the boots are a bit more sturdy and durable compared to the other waders. Of all the hip waders we looked at, these got the highest marks from buyers for not leaking and being long-lasting (Source).
Best Hip Waders For 2017
1. The Allen Black River Bootfoot Hip Waders Review
Ease Of Use
The Allen Company hip boot waders could be a solid option if you are looking for sturdy, durable boots. Users love the functionality of these boots, but some do complain about the thin shoe portion.
This product features two-ply upper construction made of rugged nylon, which is said to be lightweight with a waterproof membrane. Other useful features include a cleated sole, an integrated belt loop, and a take-up strap. This item might be a solid choice if you want hip waders that are designed to keep you warm and dry.
In general, buyers have a very favorable opinion of the Allen Company Black River flyfishing wader pants. They agree that the rubber pants are comfortable, durable and easy to get into. Users conclude that they are a good value for the money. Purchasers suggest buying one size bigger than your feet so that you can put liners in them, otherwise, your feet will be very cold.
However, some purchasers do complain about the shoe portion which is not reinforced at all, which makes the boots not very suitable for walking over rocky terrain.
2. The Frogg Toggs Rana II PVC/Nylon Hip Waders Review