Paper trimmers are crafting tools for exactly cutting Paper materials.
In this post, we examine five of the best-selling paper cutters.
That said, our quick pick if you need a heavy-duty trimmer for materials like cork, chipboard, vinyl, foam, burlap paper, and cardstock layers, check out the Fiskars Rotary Trimmer.
For lighter-duty paper-cutting applications, the Fiskars 12 Inch SureCut is a better bet.
Check out the SureCut video demonstration below:
Video Review: The SureCut
What are paper trimmers?
Paper trimmers are devices that allow users to cut paper for office or craft projects.
How do they work?
Paper trimmers come in two varieties: The guillotine and rotary. While both use a blade for cutting, the rotary trimmer has a blade that slides back and forth over the cutting surface while the guillotine utilizes a lever to cut. Trimmers are ideal for small craft projects, while guillotine cutters are geared more toward office or school use because the leverage of the handle allows for cutting more sheets at a time (Source).
Buyers say if you’re into scrapbooking or crafts, the trimmer is a better value. They take up less space and more portable. Also, they advise to be wary of cheap trimmers as they often make jagged cuts and can ruin the paper. (Source).
Comparing The Options
|Paper Cutters||Our Rating||Price ($)|
|The Fiskars SureCut Deluxe Craft Paper Trimmer||4.5||$$|
|The Swingline Paper Trimmer||4.3||$$|
|The Jielisi Rotary Paper Trimmer||4.5||$|
|The Fiskars 12 Inch Recycled SureCut Trimmer||4.4||$|
|The Westcott Guillotine Paper Trimmer||3.9||$$$|
How Do They Compare
We take a look at 5 popular cutters of both the rotary and guillotine variety and see how they compare.
- First is the Westcott 12” TrimAir Titanium Wood Guillotine Paper Trimmer, which features anti-microbial protection on handle to combat germs and is the only one we looked at that had this feature. It Can cut through 30 sheets of 20 lb. paper with smooth, clean cuts. Users say the blade is very sharp and buyers should exercise caution. Good for use in the office or home. Great value for the price, but not very portable.
- Next is the Fiskars 12” Recycled SureCut Trimmer. This features Fiskars own SureCut wire cut line and locking mechanism for straight, accurate cuts. Can cut 7 sheets of paper at once. Users like the fact that they can easily replace the blade, which extends the life of the device. Good for general, light duty cutting.
- The JieLisi 12” Titanium Scrapbooking Paper Trimmer is more suited to light craft projects than heavy cutting jobs as it’s best when cutting one sheet at a time. Most users use this for cutting coupons or for scrapbooking projects and praise it for being one of the lowest priced cutters available (Source). Also, while most buyers were happy with the device, some questioned how durable and long lasting it would be.
- Next is the Fiskars 12” SureCut Deluxe Craft Paper Trimmer, which boasts the widest base on the market at 6 1/4 inches. This makes the cutter very stable and safe to use. The SureCut wire line makes for straight, accurate cuts. Fiskars gets high marks for being durable and long lasting, and for the accurate cuts it makes. Users say it performs well even on heavy 140lb. paper.
- Last up is the Swingline Paper Trimmer/Cutter with its 12” size with 10 sheet capacity. Lightweight and easily portable. Guillotine trimmer handle provides stability and allows you to cut through more paper than with other trimmers. Users say it cuts through card stock and chipboard as easily as paper. The biggest downside we could see is that it’s light and may not hold up for the long haul.
Best Paper Trimmers For 2017
1. The Fiskars SureCut Deluxe Craft Paper Trimmer Review
Ease Of Use
The Fiskars 12’’ paper trimmer could be a solid option if you want to cut paper, photos or scrapbook pages with precision. Users love the sharpness of this tool, but some do complain about its durability.
This product is suitable for easy cutting of a wide variety of crafting materials thanks to a wire cut-line that indicates exactly where the blade will go through. The manufacturer boasts that the blade interlocks with the rail for straight, precise cuts every time. Another useful feature is a permanent scale and grid cutting mat that helps ensure cutting accuracy. This item might be a solid choice if you want an ergonomically designed, easy-to-grip blade carriage that will help you make accurate cuts quickly.
In general, buyers have a very favorable opinion of the Fiskars deluxe craft paper trimmer. They agree that it is sharp, precise and lightweight. Users appreciate the good quality of the tool.
However, some purchasers do complain that the blade can be easily pulled out while cutting and moving. A frequent complaint is that the blade looks worn out after several usages.