Bulk delete menu items in WordPress – WordPress has a very easy to use and drag and drop user interface to quickly add Menu Items. The menus feature in WordPress allows you create a good site structure while letting users navigate and find information as needed. The good thing is, you can easily add as many menu items you want. The annoying thing is, there are no options to bulk delete menu items in WordPress.
Why Bulk Delete Menu Items?
It may not be every time, but there will situations where you need to delete multiple menu items. Sure, you can manually delete each and every menu item by simply expanding it and then clicking on the link “Remove.” However, if you have quite a few menu items, it can be a pain in the back to delete all of them manually. This is especially true in scenarios like when you import demo data for your theme or when you are cleaning and organizing the menu.
For instance, look at the below image. There are a ton of menu items that are automatically added when I imported the demo data of a WordPress Adsense theme. Trust me, what you see in the below image are just half of the menu items. As you can tell, it will be pretty frustrating to delete to all those dummy menu items one by one.
Bulk Delete Menu Items in WordPress
1. Though WordPress didn’t have built-in options to bulk delete menu items, you can use a simple and free plugin to do that. To start off, search for “Quick Remove Menu Item” in the Plugins page (Plugins > Add New) and then click on the button “Install.”
2. Once installed, click on the button “Activate” to activate the plugin. After activating the plugin, you can proceed to delete the menu items. To do that, open the Menus page by navigating to “Appearance > Menus” in the WordPress dashboard.
3. In the Menus page, select the menu you want to edit from the drop-down menu and then click on the button “Select.” In my case, I want to edit my Primary Menu. So, I selected it from the drop-down menu.
4. Now, you will see all the menu items in that particular menu.
- To delete a single menu item, simply click on the “X” icon.
- If you want to delete a menu item with all its sub-menu items then click on the “XX” icon.
When you click on the icon, you will not receive any warning message or confirmation message, but the menu will be deleted.
5. Once you are done deleting the unwanted menu items, click on the button “Save Menu” to save the changes.
That’s all there is to do and it is that simple to bulk delete menu items in WordPress. Do comment below sharing your thoughts and experiences about using the above method to delete menu items in WordPress.