The Sony Xperia SP may have been a 4 year old device by now but it’s still capable of running the latest and greatest of Android releases. The device dropped out of official software update channel by Sony in year 2014, but thanks to the awesome support by third party developers, Xperia SP is still kicking with the latest version of Android (Android 8.0 Oreo) now available for it.
Android 8.0 Oreo is coming to Sony Xperia SP through a custom ROM based on Android Open Source Project (AOSP). Google pushed the Android 8.0 source code to AOSP the day it released Oreo for Nexus and Pixel devices. And now thanks to AdrianDC over at xda, we now have a semi-functional AOSP based Oreo ROM for the Xperia SP.
Since this is a first release of an Android 8.0 ROM for Xperia SP, we wouldn’t recommend you to jump the ship yet and install this on your Xperia SP. This ROM has some major functionalities like missing camera and bluetooth, which are pretty necessary for everyday usage. So before you proceed with the installation guide below, know that it might not be a good experience yet to use this as your daily driver.
How to Install Android 8.0 Oreo AOSP ROM on OnePlus One
How to Install Android 8.0 Oreo AOSP ROM on Nexus 6P
Download Android Oreo Gapps (Gapps for Android 8.0 Oreo)
Camera – Disabled
Download AOSP 8.0 Oreo ROM for Xperia SP
Download Android 8.0 AOSP ROM for Xperia SP – Download (Development Page)
Android 8.0 Gapps For Xperia SP – Download
Magisk for Xperia SP – Download
How to Install Android 8.0 Oreo on Xperia SP
1) First, download and install a custom recovery. If you already had a custom recovery installed on your device then skip this step.
2) Download the Android 8.0 ROM and Gapps (Optional) from above and save it on your device.
3) Now Boot your device into Recovery mode by press and hold “Volume Down+Power Button”
4) Now you will enter into recovery mode. Now in TWRP, create a Nandroid backup (Recommended) of your device for safer side, if anything goes wrong.
5) Now Reboot to Bootloader.
6) Flash Vendor image file and then Reboot again to Recovery.
7) Now do a Factory Reset by Goto Wipe>Advanced Wipe>Select Wipe cache, Dalvik cache, System, and data and swipe to confirm it.
8) Now, Go to Install and locate the ROM zip file & swipe to Install the ROM file. After the process completes, Flash the GApps zip file.
9) Now Flash the SuperSu/Magisk zip (Optional).
10) Now wipe cache & Dalvik cache again and Reboot your device.
This is the complete guide to Download and Install Android 8.0 Oreo on Xperia SP. Comment below if you have any doubts.