SD cards are one of the most commonly used storage devices around the world. You can find these extremely compact yet massive-capacity flash memory devices in smartphones, portable media players, digital cameras, voice recorders, etc.
Just like other popular storage devices like hard drives and thumb drives, SD cards are highly reliable. However, they aren’t 100% safe. And so, it’s possible for you to face an “SD Card Not Initialized Error” or an “Undetected SD Card” error, etc. which disallows you to access your important photos and other digital files on the SD card.
What’s the reason behind SD Card Not Initialized Error?
An SD card can become undetectable for many reasons. Some of these are:
- Dirty Pins: The SD card is read by digital camera or smartphone with the help of SD card’s pins (which you can typically notice as thin copper stripes). However, if dirt has accumulated on these pins, then it may make it difficult for your device to load the memory card on the device.
- Data Corruption: Your SD card files can be corrupted or damaged because of both physical and logical damage. The latter includes malware attacks, unintentional formatting, operating system corruption, etc.
- Incompatible Hardware: If the mobile phone or digital camera doesn’t support the memory card that you are using, you may receive an “SD Card not initialized Error” etc.
Solutions to Fix “SD Card Not Initialized” Error
If your card has become “unreadable”, there is no need to panic, as SD card Recovery is possible in most cases. That said, before taking any drastic measures or jumping to conclusions, you can try the following basic solutions first:
- Switch off the device, remove the SD card, and reinsert. Turn on the device and see if it worked. If it didn’t, then proceed to the next step.
- Get a soft and clean cotton to clean the memory card pins (i.e. the electrical contacts). Once done, repeat the step above.
In most cases, the methods shared above should be able to get your SD card up and running again and Fix SD Card not initialized Error once and for all. However, if the problem persists, then you have two options:
- Software solution
- Service Solution
Both options are equally good and capable of achieving 100% data recovery. The only difference is in their working. In the first, you can recover the data on your own with the help of the data recovery Software. However, in the second option, you can hand over the SD card to a recovery service provider who can do the needful for you. It’s also a recommended option when the problem is related to physical damage.
Let’s discuss both options one by one.
There are many software programs that let you to Fix SD Card not initialized Error which you can find on the Internet. However, here we shall take Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery software which is one of the most reliable programs available as an example.
Once you have installed the software on your computer system, take the following steps:
- Connect the SD card to your computer with a USB-based media device or an SD card reader and launch the software from your desktop/system.
- Click “Recover Photo, Audio & Video”. This is used for audio, images, and video data recovery from SD Card.
- Select the location/media device on your computer system that you want to recover your data from. In this case, you need to select the SD card.
- Click the “Scan Now” button if you want instant results with no recovery customization. Otherwise, you can click “advanced settings” located on the bottom right of the screen.
- In the second option, you can either select “supported file format” if you want to recover files with select formats (in the photo, audio, or video), or “select region” if you want to scan only specific locations on your SD card.
- The software will scan the SD card as per your directions and list the recovered files on the left side of the interface for you to see.
- Select the files you want to recover and click “Recover” button located on the bottom right of the screen.
- Select the location where you want to store the recovered files on your system.
- That’s it! Your photos, audio files, and videos are successfully recovered!
A professional data recovery company such as Stellar has a state of the art data recovery lab and skilled recovery engineers that use advanced practices and specialized software for successful data recovery from SD Card.
In a service solution, the Data recovery experts take your SD card to assess the damage in detail. They check if any damage to the circuitry or if there is some logical error. If it’s the former, they identify the repairable sectors/regions and then provide a list of recoverable files to you for approval. If the problem is latter, then it’s usually possible to recover 100% of the data, and they shall perform the standard SD card data recovery process.
The “SD Card not initialized Error” is fairly common, and in most cases, you can recover the data rather easily. However, if you don’t want to take any chances, and if the data is particularly important to you, then it’s best to use specialized software such as the one discussed above or a comprehensive and professional data recovery service.
This is because these are the only viable and logical solutions to the problem that guarantee a safe and up to 100% data recovery.
The post Solution To Fix “SD Card Not Initialized” Error appeared first on Stellar Data Recovery Blog.