As a child, I moved a lot. Every new School year in a new school was super stressful. Not because I might not have learned my multiplication tables as much as my fellow students, or that they might laugh at the way I talked (having moved to several ‘accent’ regions of the U.S.) – but because I didn’t have any friends, and I was afraid I might not find them.
Friendship … is not something you learn in school. But if you haven’t learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven’t learned anything. – Muhammad Ali
It’s back to school time and I’m betting we all have memories of those school year ‘firsts.’ First time on the bus – would any of my friends have an open seat? First time in homeroom – who would I know? The sadness of summer ending, it was time to find our ‘tribe,’ our group of friends who would be there for us as we grew up and developed who we are.
Even when we’re out of those sometimes stressful school years, there’s still the feeling of ‘firsts.’ First time we meet our neighbors or gym friends, first time we take the first step in finding new friends to play tennis with or get the courage to ask to meet for coffee.
Why not go ‘back to school’ on friendships? Here’s a little ABC’s of going Back To School on Friendship …
A – Action. Don’t just sit there. Get up and do things that require you to leave your comfort zone. Start a book club. Join a women’s networking group. Ask a friend to meet you for a movie, dinner or coffee.
B – Believe. Believe in yourself but, even more, believe in your friends. Trust them. Give them the benefit of the doubt. Believe they want the best for you and return the favor.
C – Commit. Commit to being a better friend. Commit to taking a risk and making new friends. Commit to giving your friends time, being thoughtful, being a better listener … of being a better friend.
What ‘firsts’ are you facing? What potential new friends are in your life? How can you go ‘back to school’ on friendship? Why not try your ABC’s?
What are your memories from friendships and school? Any girlfriend advice?
Last week on Girlfriendology:
- 5 Tips to Treat Yourself with Love and Compassion | Advice from Girlfriend Claudia Petrilli
- Happiness is a Voluntary Thing | Our Happiness Journey continues
- 10 Lessons from BlogHer (or what you learn from thousands of Blogging BFFs & Khloe Kardashian)
- Friendships at Work | Career Advice from Girlfriend Christine Maddox
- Taking a Break from: The Pursuit of Happiness
More for Back to School Girlfriend Advice:
- Back to School Lunches | Girlfriend Advice from Real Life
- Girlfriend advice for back to school season
- Back-to-School Gifts for Girlfriends – Celebrate the end of Summer & the start of School!
- Saving Money on Back-To-School | Financial Advice from Guru Miata Edoga
- Five Ways to Organize the Back-to-School Frenzy | Girlfriend Advice for Moms
The ABC’s of Back-to-School & Friendship
Click To Tweet
A Free Resource Library of Great Girlfriend Advice?!
- Celebration Ideas & checklists
- Friendly Financial Advice
- Tempting Travel tips
- FREE eBooks
- Coloring book pages
- Quotes to share with Friends
^Girlfriend Gift Finder for:
- Birthday Gifts for Women
- Holiday Gifts - Christmas Gifts, Mother's Day Gifts, Valentine's Day Gifts
- Cheer up Gifts, Sympathy Gifts, Just Because Gifts, Congrats, Housewarming, Hostess Gifts & More!
Free Resource Library?
- 150 Friendship Quotes
- 3 FREE eBooks - including Resumes & Cover Letters
- 2 Inspirational Quote Coloring Book Pages
- JUST ADDED: Tips to make Grocery Shopping Easier
- Girlfriend Trip Beach Recommendations
- Money-saving Tips & Sites
- & more!!
The post The ABC’s of Friendship for Back to School & Girlfriends appeared first on Girlfriendology.