It’s a girlfriend dinner party … for one!
As fun, and loud, and friend-filled as a hosting/being invited to a big Girlfriend dinner party can be, sometimes ‘it’s just fun to be one.’ To reconnect with an old friend face-to-face, get to know a potential new friend or just catch up with a girlfriend who may need you in her life, we recommend ‘breaking bread,’ possibly over wine or take-out, with just one girlfriend.
Having a one-on-one conversation, really listening and giving each other your full attention are best achieved when distractions and dinner guests are limited.
So, in honor of this Month of Friendship, we’re talking about inviting a friend over to serve up dinner, dialogue and share a few dreams together. You don’t even have to invite her over for dinner, but agree to a restaurant where you two can talk – sans friends, family, cell phones, kids, etc. Just the two of you, on a ‘date’ away from everything and everyone that requires your attention. Just friends, talking, sharing, laughing and making sure the other knows her friendship is worthy of a dinner together.
Personally, I’m not the chef in our home so, for girlfriend dinners, it’s gotta be a restaurant. I had dinner with my high school friend, Laura, on Friday night – which was WAY overdue. So much has happened since we were last together, yet, as friends for a long, long time, we caught up readily and promised to make it a more frequent occurrence. Having someone else bother with the meal preparation and serving us without question to our caloric intake, ‘is that really healthy for you?’ or alcohol consumption made it a stress-free dinner. (Actually, our self-control was well intact, but it was a no guilt, eat-all-the-chips-and-salsa-you-want kind of evening.)
But, if you’re so inclined and capable (like my gourmet girlfriend Terri), you’re probably a wonderful chef and host for a girlfriend dinner. Make her favorite meal. Have her join you in the meal preparation or allow her to bring part of the meal. Or, if you’re kinda in between, order out – Indian ‘take away,’ pizza delivery, Chinese pick-up – whatever you and she love, just make the meal choice whatever fits your schedule, tastes, and favorite indulgence.
We asked our Facebook Friends what they make/have for a girlfriend dinner and they shared:
- Cathie: Wine. (Cathie is a wine writer & author of “Cheap Cabernet: A Friendship“)
- Norja: Tapas and wine
- Janet: Depends on who it is!! Most of the time we go out for dinner, but if I am having it in I will often have one friend bring a salad, another dessert and I will do the main entree. – Also “Tapas and wine is perfect, or cookies and cocktails!”
What do YOU recommend for a girlfriend dinner? What girlfriend dinners have been extra special to you and why? Share and inspire!
Hey Girlfriend … Got a Stamp? You’re ready for Day 13 of this Month of Friendship!
- Make it Ahead – Barefoot Contessa recipe book
- Dinner Party Music – Soft Jazz (my fave for conversation!) – or Classic Rock
- Simple, Stunning Dinner Parties at Home – beautiful recipes and ideas!
- Vegetarian Dinner Party Recipes – Make everyone feel welcome!
Month of Friendship: Day 1
Day 5: Phone a Friend
Day 9: Girlfriend Traditions
Day 13: Send a Card
Day 17: Organize your Closet with a Girlfriend
Day 21: Make a Girlfriend Gift
Day 25: Take a class with a Friend
Day 29: Give Thoughtful Girlfriend Gifts
Day 2: Expressing Gratitude
Day 6: Take a Girlfriend Trip
Day 10: Shopping with a Friend
Day 14: Throw a Girlfriend Happy Hour
Day 18: Girlfriend Chick Flick Party
Day 22: Coffee with a Girlfriend
Day 26: Tell her how much her Friendship means to you
Day 30: Spend time with a Friend
Day 3: Friends in Social Media
Day 7: Pamper Your Pals
Day 11: Remember Friends
Day 15: Random Acts of Kindness
Day 19: Go for a Walk with a Friend
Day 23: Explore your city with a Girlfriend
Day 27: Anticipate her needs
Take the Friendship Month Challenge!
Day 4: Make a Memory Gift
Day 8: Make a Friend Laugh
Day 12: Dinner with Friends
Day 16: Get a Mani/Pedi Together
Day 20: All about YOU Girlfriend Day
Day 24: Surprise your BFF
Day 28: Ask a Friend for a Favor
A Free Resource Library of Great Girlfriend Advice?!
- Celebration Ideas & checklists
- Friendly Financial Advice
- Tempting Travel tips
- FREE eBooks
- Coloring book pages
- Quotes to share with Friends
^Girlfriend Gift Finder for:
- Birthday Gifts for Women
- Holiday Gifts - Christmas Gifts, Mother's Day Gifts, Valentine's Day Gifts
- Cheer up Gifts, Sympathy Gifts, Just Because Gifts, Congrats, Housewarming, Hostess Gifts & More!
Free Resource Library?
- 150 Friendship Quotes
- 3 FREE eBooks - including Resumes & Cover Letters
- 2 Inspirational Quote Coloring Book Pages
- JUST ADDED: Tips to make Grocery Shopping Easier
- Girlfriend Trip Beach Recommendations
- Money-saving Tips & Sites
- & more!!
The post Month of Friendship, Day 12 – Make dinner for a Girlfriend appeared first on Girlfriendology.