Injured in an Accident? Here’s What to do Next
The moments immediately following a slip and fall, workplace, or car Accident in which you’ve been injured can be not only painful, but a lot to deal with. Obviously, your health should be your main priority. However, once you’ve been seen by doctors and told to go home and recover, there are things you’ll need to do if you’re going to file a personal injury claim. Below is a look at some of the next steps you’ll need to take to get compensated for damages and your injuries.
Immediately Following the Accident
If your injuries are extreme, the first thing you’ll need to do is contact an ambulance to come and transport you to the hospital. Your health should be your top priority. However, if your injuries don’t require immediate emergency assistance then the next steps immediately following your accident should include:
- Contact the authorities as a police report will be helpful in your personal injury claim.
- Gather any evidence from the scene of the accident that can point to fault. If you’re able, take photos of where you were injured, any damage to your property, and the injuries you sustained.
- Get contact information from any witnesses, the other party involved in the accident, and/or the owner of the property (if dealing with a slip and fall accident).
- Inform the party you believe to be at fault that you will be filing a personal injury claim and ask for their insurance information if possible.
- Be sure to keep accurate notes of everything that happens from the time of the accident including conversations you may have had, things you remember, notes from doctors, medical bills, time off from work, etc.
After You’ve Received Medical Care
Whether your injuries were something major like broken bones or you suffer from severe back and neck pain it is necessary to seek medical attention following the accident. Your doctor’s notes will be extremely important when filing your claim and getting compensation. After you’ve received medical care, however, here are the steps you’ll want to follow:
- Contact a personal injury attorney. You should look for an experienced attorney such as Steven J Schwartzapfel to guide you through the process. Although you may not have decided to sue yet, a lawyer is instrumental in helping you to understand your rights, helping you file your claim, and negotiating any settlements.
- File your insurance claim. Now that you’ve spoken with an attorney who can tell you what your rights are and the best next steps, you’re ready to file your insurance claim. You don’t want to put this off too long as there’s a time limit on filing. Contact the insurance company and provide them with the details of your accident. Be sure to provide them with all your notes including witness statements, police reports, or contact information for others involved in the accident. They will likely request you
- Wait for a callback. The insurance company will review the information you’ve provided as well as any information they receive from the other involved parties, police, witnesses, and other insurance companies to determine who is at fault. The insurance company will contact you at this point to discuss a settlement offer. This is where having a personal injury attorney on your side is beneficial. As insurance companies will often throw out what appears to be large numbers in order to entice you to accept an offer that is far less than what you deserve.
- Consider filing a lawsuit. If you’re unable to come to an agreement during settlement negotiations, the only other option for receiving compensation for your damages, injuries, and consequences following the accident will be to file a personal injury suit. Your attorney will walk you through this process and prepare supporting documents and evidence to fight your case in court. An experienced attorney can often help their clients get compensated for damages, medical bills (past, present, and future), time lost from work, and more.
When you’ve been injured in a slip and fall, workplace accident, or a DUI car accident there is a lot to deal with. The most important thing is to tend to your injuries and then move onto the next steps. Remember, whether you intend to file a personal injury lawsuit or not, consulting with an attorney can give you an idea of what to expect, what your rights are, and how to best go about getting compensated properly.
The post What’s Next If You’re Injured In An Accident appeared first on Mom Knows It All..
This post first appeared on Mom Knows It All. - I Know EVERYTHING - Just Ask M, please read the originial post: here