Holidays are stressful! In fact, 80% of us find the holiday season to be ‘somewhat’ or ‘very’ stressful.* Between over-booked schedules, over-extended budgets and excessive expectations for perfect gifts and a meaningful Holiday, this Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa season often is just a big ole package of stress!
Sometimes we need to get back to our reason for the season – to LOVE on the special people who, like the quote above says, are worth this aggravation (and people to whom we are worth the same!).
‘As we struggle with shopping lists & invitations, compounded by December’s bad weather, it is good to be reminded that there are people in our lives who are worth this aggravation, & people to whom we are worth the same.’ Donald Westlake
So, in the spirit of Girlfriend advice and support in this season of stress, here’s 5 Ways to De-Stress Your Holidays:
1. KISS – Keep it Simple and Special – We often put unrealistic expectations on ourselves for the holidays. We want to have the perfect party dress, the best meals, the most thoughtful gifts, and every other over-the-top measure of seasonal success. Let’s be our own BFF and allow ourselves to lighten up! What memories do you cherish? Those of spending time with friends and family. In lieu of expensive, beautiful-wrapped packages, give the gift of time – have some Holiday lattes together, take time for a fireside chat, make plans to for a girlfriend trip in the coming year. Give yourself the gift of acceptance and celebrate in low/no-stress ways!
2. De-Stress Your Travel Plans – Speaking of stress, many of us have to travel over the holiday season which, with weather delays and packages to pack, is not for the weak at heart! Follow this travel expert’s advice on stress-free holiday travel!
3. Create Traditions – It’s such a wonderful time of year to celebrate our friends by sharing traditions. Here are 6 Holiday Girlfriend Traditions You Can Start This Year! In lieu of gifts, why not get the girls together for a girlfriend holiday party.
4. Make Time for YOU – Take a walk buy nexium in mexico with a Friend. Let yourself enjoy a cup of your favorite beverage and read a book. Don’t feel guilty for spending a night (or two, or three!) just watching Holiday movies. Take time to be thankful and to appreciate the gift of friendship. Give the gift of self-love. (Because you can’t make everyone else’s holiday happy if you’re overly stressed. Take care of YOU Girlfriend!)
5. Share Girlfriend Advice on De-Stressing Your Holidays – We learn so much from our smart, savvy girlfriends. That’s why we compiled the wisdom of 20 de-stress-savvy women to share insights in a free eBook: Guide to Holiday Girlfriend Advice. Check out Tips to Getting the Perfect Gift (for YOU!), Easy and impressive Vegetarian Recipes for your parties, and a great Holiday Baking Tradition – plus a whole bunch more! SHARE with a Girlfriend who needs to de-stress her holidays!
Whatever you do, BREATHE Girlfriend! Enjoy this wonderful time of year. SHARE your girlfriend advice for De-Stressing Your Holidays below!
MORE Holiday De-Stressors! For those girlfriends who are missing friends or family at the holidays, here’s some (we hope) de-stressing Girlfriend Advice on how to deal with missing friends at the holidays. For other girlfriends, being solo for the holidays is stressful. Here’s some great girlfriend advice on how to have a wonderful holiday without a +1.
REALLY stressed out? Check out this helpful article from the Mayo Clinic on reducing holiday stress. (And recommend to a friend if she needs it too.)
* per a report on Stress.About.com.
This week on Girlfriendology:
- Cyber Monday Girlfriend Gifts – Let the Holidays Begin!
- Thanksgiving Inspired – 5 Friday Favorite Videos – on Gratitude
- Who NOT to set a place for this Thanksgiving / Insights from a BFF Conversation
- Celebrating Thanksgiving in Two Words – Great Girlfriend Advice
- Favorite Thanksgiving Quotes – The Funny Ones You share with Girlfriends!
- Favorite Thanksgiving Quotes, 2 – Show Your Girlfriend Gratitude!
- Favorite Thanksgiving Quotes – Be Thankful Girlfriend!
- Girlfriends and Goals = Recipe for Success | Advice from Tiffany Huff
The post 5 Ways to De-Stress Your Holidays appeared first on Girlfriendology.