I am a busy, working mom that likes to look good, but I do not wake up that way at all! I have bad Skin and naturally blonde hair. These two things alone require maintenance. I have blonde eyelashes and over-plucked eyebrows, and I am not about that. Doing make up is something I love, but I don’t always have time to do a full face before I leave in the morning- which makes me uneasy. We all like to look the best that we can when we face the world. Here are some tips for us busy ladies to get the glow up that we deserve!
So, there are some things that I do behind the scenes for my skin and beauty routine that keep me confident when I’m busy.
- Dermatologist- I suffer from adult, hormonal cystic acne, and usually I do wear make up to cover this. I seem to always have some kind of break out. And I have scars. My new dermatologist has really helped me out, though. I am finally on Spironolactone. I have tried almost every type of topical and oral medication, but with this one, I am finally seeing results. There are side effects, for sure, but to me- it is worth it. The main side effect I deal with is headaches, and that is only if I don’t drink enough water or have too much wine. But you guys, lately I can just use concealer to spot check my zits instead of covering my entire face. I would say that this medication has been the best thing for my acne. I have spent so much money (along with sweat, blood and tears) on face products, and nothing worked to get rid of my acne for good. If you can relate-go to your doctor stat! If it’s a real issue, you will need a prescription that’s more than a cream and that’s specified for your type of acne.
- At-Home Face Masks- Even though my acne medicine is awesome, I still have skin concerns. I have wrinkles, scarring and hyper-pigmentation. So, I try to do at least one face mask a week. I have a couple that help with my different issues- and don’t cause more acne. The ones that I love are: Ordinary Peeling Solution 30ml AHA 30% & BHA 2% and Aztec Secret- Indian Clay Mask. I can see a major difference in my skin right after I use these. I am trying out a new, hard-core mask, Zombie Pack, and I have to say that I am seeing results!
- At-Home Skin Cleansing- I also double cleanse my face each night. So, I use a balm to get my make up off, Clean It Zero Original. This stuff is great. You can rub it all over your face, even into your eyelashes, and it doesn’t sting at all! It gets everything off, too. Then, I use a cleanser that suds afterwards. There are a couple different foaming cleaners that I use depending on what my skin is doing. I love Aveeno Products, and I usually switch between the Positively Radiant Skin Brightening Scrub and the Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser. If I’m having a really bad time with my skin, then I will use Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix Daily Cleansing Pads. Let me tell you, there is nothing left on my face after I double cleanse. On a side note, I usually try to exfoliate with my foaming cleaners every night, and for the past 10 years I have been using Clarisonic. But lately, I have been reading (and then noticing) how bacteria and yuckiness builds up underneath the scrubber. So, I bought a Ultimate Sonic Facial Cleansing Brush by Mint Sonic. The brush is made of silicone, so it is much cleaner. These brushes do come at all price points. I got a cheaper one to start out, but so far I love it.
- At-Home Skin Care- I have products that I use specifically in the AM and then in the PM. My AM routine is quick and simple. I use Aveeno Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser because it’s light and gets the product residue and gunk off from the night before. Then, I use The Ordinary Buffet serum. It’s great at hydrating and looks good under make up. On top of that I use Aveeno Ultra-Calming Daily Lotion mixed with aloe vera and benzoyl peroxide. I just mix these on the back of my hand and swipe it over my face. The Aveeno lotion has sunscreen, so then I’m good to go! As for my PM routine, I don’t do the same thing everyday because my skin is not the same everyday. Before I put on any serums or creams, I use a micro-roller on my clean skin. It helps with everything, really. Then, I start with the serums. I recently discovered Revolution Skincare (so affordable), and the Night Restore Oil is a game changer. I use this every night. If I’m on my period, I will use The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Solution and The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% and Zinc 1%. If the bags under my eyes are bad, I use Revolution’s Targeted Under Eye Serum. I always end with the thicker creams. So, I put a little Egyptian Magic (worth the hype!) under my eyes and over zits or scars. This may seem like a lot, but I my skin is an obsession. It’s truly a hobby for me. If you can swing a simpler routine, I’m a little jealous. Although, all these products will only enhance your beauty!
- Micro-bladed Eyebrows- Yes, I am one of the millions that over-plucked their eyebrows in the early 2000’s. I also have blonde eyebrows. Drawing on my eyebrows each morning isn’t the worst thing, but I’ll be honest- I have no idea what I’m doing and no time. So, I had my eyebrows micro-bladed last year, and I am in love. Because this is semi-permanent and a little bit painful, you need to do your research. Ritual Aesthetics did mine, and I’m so, so happy. She is extremely professional, knowledgeable and experienced. My mom also got her eyebrows micro-bladed, and it changed her entire face. She looks 10 years younger! Unfortunately, I need a touch up soon. There is some pigmentation that has faded a little on one of my eyebrows. It’s totally normal because of how much I cleanse and exfoliate my skin. So, what I have been doing in the mean time is using dye! I found a dye that is free of most chemicals, Bigen Permanent Powder Hair Color, but still gives me a good pigment. When I do this, I don’t have to fill anything in with make up for a couple weeks. It’s like a cheap refresher while I save up for my micro-blading touch up!
- Eyelash Lift & Tint- I have had my eyelashes lifted and tinted professionally, and I have done it myself as well. (Yes, this treatment has a much different effect than a curling wand can give! When I use to curl my eyelashes with a wand, they would still never stay curled the entire day.) Getting it done is very expensive and takes at least an hour. My eyelashes stayed lifted for about 6 weeks when I got it professionally done and 3 weeks when I did it myself. Doing it myself was a bit of a pain. I won’t lie. The kit that I used is the VASSOUL Lash Lift Kit. The actual lifting chemicals worked fine, but the lash glue that is included in the kit did not work for me. I had to use my own. It was definitely more complicated than I would have liked, but I would do it again because I can multitask in the privacy of my own home. Either way, professional or DIY, this look is just pretty. My eyes look more awake, and I truly get so many compliments.
When I can actually get all of these things accomplished, after the kid goes to bed, of course, I look like the Glow Up that I always wanted. Do I still break out? Oh yeah. But these behind the scene beauty routine tips really do help if you don’t love spending precious time in the morning beating your face into submission. And if you do, then these tips come in handy when you’re running late, girl!
BONUS INFORMATION! If you’re a beauty addict like me, then you will love Vogue’s Beauty Secrets. They have almost 150 episodes in their first season. Almost every iconic beautiful person that you stan has done a video- and they actually share their beauty secrets and products. I’m obsessed. I watch these when I can’t sleep late at night- which is a major behind the scenes beauty routine no-no. Nobody’s perfect.
The post The Glow Up Routine For Busy Boss Ladies appeared first on The Try Hard Girl.