Delhi, the national capital of India, is one of the ancient cities in the country. A city which speaks of its glorious past, it has always been a choice of everyone to visit. From ancient monuments to food places, from world famous auto expos, trade fairs and book fairs to local and international markets, this place has got everything what one can look for. One side, Delhi has some of the best and world class international shopping malls, while its also has some local markets which not only attract the local crowd but even the foreigners come and shop there. It’s a place for everyone. The place where you can see past, present and even can have a look at the future; Delhi welcomes you with arms wide open to explore its cultural depth. If we include each and every shopping place, the will not end. Based on the popularity, we have made a list of top famous markets in Delhi. So let’s, visit the busy streets and markets of Delhi with FoodRavel and explore its shopping and market places.
Famous Markets in Delhi where You can Shop
Palika Bazar Market: Among the most famous markets in Delhi, is Palika Bazar. It is an underground market. This market is located around the outer and inner circles of Connaught Place. There are around 380 shops which sell a wide line of items such electronics, personal care products, clothes and many more. The market is named after the Palika Bazar in Mumbai. There are seven gates of the market. Gate 1 is the main entry gate with staircase which faces the Central Park. Gate 2 faces the underground parking and has ramp entry for handicap. Gate 3 is closed and is not used. Gate 4 faces Regal Building and Jeevan Bharti building. Gate 5 has two staircase door entries with one facing to Jeevan Bharati and N block while other facing the underground parking. Gate 6 and 7 face to F block. This place is also famous for its bargaining level. At first, you will be asked to pay Rs. 1000 but if you are good at negotiating, you can even jump to half of the price.
- Sarojini Nagar Market: Heard about this in a song? Especially famous for ladies wear, this market offers huge collection and wide varieties of garments. From locals to high quality brands, you can buy anything from here. There are local stores and also international brands such as Van Heusen, John Player, Duke, Adidas, and Reebok etc. Here too, you need to have good negotiation skills to deal with the shopkeepers. It’s located near to INA metro station. The market is open on Sunday. You can buy footwear, home ware; clothes and accessories at very cheap price and you can also bargain and get the price reduced.
- Lajpat Nagar Market: This market is again famous for women wear. This market is famous one and attracts not only local people but tourists also. You can buy anything from clothes, footwear, trendy & fashion wear, traditional ethnic wear. You can buy famous handmade Lucknow embroidery with Chickan work. You can save some money if you are good at bargaining. Located centrally, this market remains closed on Monday. One of the oldest markets in the country, this market gives a wonderful gaze of tradition and culture. There are both big showrooms and roadside small stalls. You can even find mehandiwalas there.
- Khan Market: Established in the memory of Khan Abdul Jabbar Khan who was brother of Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan, in 1951, this market is among most famous markets in Delhi. This market isn’t cheap but is among expensive shopping places in Delhi. Cushman & Wakefield rated it most expensive market at 21st There are several international brands including Goodearth, Tommy Hilfiger, Benetton, Puma, Reebok, Nike etc. You can find all leading retail outlets, food chain restaurants and cafes, electronic showrooms, and much more. So, this place is for riches of Delhi. This market is located near India Gate. Nearest metro station is Khan Market Metro Station on violet line.
- Tibetan Market: Looking for famous markets in Delhi and didn’t hear about Tibetan Market? Don’t miss it. As the name suggests, this market is also called Monastery Market. It is located near Maharana Pratap Nagar ISBT. Set up by Tibetan refugees, this market offers handlooms and warm clothes. They sell shawls, Tibetan artefacts, stones, incense, footwear, leather products, and accessories. Their products are stylish enough for the price they charge. You can also get to enjoy some authentic delicious Tibetan cuisines such a Chow Mein, Thupkas and Momos. This place is among famous markets of Delhi and also is a place for budget shopping and quality products.
- Gaffar Market: Famous for its electronic shops, this market is a name known to everyone around. Among famous markets in Delhi, this market dates back to 1952. Situated near Karol Bagh, this market has more than 500 shops. This place is among the top and best places where you can buy electronic items including computers, cameras and mobile phones etc. The place is always crowded with narrow streets. The market remains open on Sunday. It is said that you can find a phone in the market which hasn’t even been launched in the country.
- Nehru Place Market: Again a tech market, this place is probably among the biggest place for computers and software in the country. You can purchase both first hand new as well as second hand electronic products such as laptops at reasonable prices. The market is located in South Delhi. One can take violet line towards Badarpur metro from Central Secretariat to Nehru Place metro station. You can also buy pirated version of software here. The market is closed on Sunday.
- Daryaganj Old Book Market: Are you a book addict? Do you love reading novels and books? Then this market is a paradise for you. Daryaganj old book market is among the famous markets in Delhi which is very old market of the city. This market is kind of huge and extends to Jawaharlal Nehru Marg to westward, in south to Old Delhi border and towards Bahadur Shah Jafar Road towards the north. The market is basically on open stalls roadside. Again, great bargain on book prices. And you can buy bulk books. Not only novels, you can buy books for all academic disciplines such as medicines, engineering, CA, computer and lot other.
- Delhi Haat: Delhi Haat is famous for its craft items and food stalls. It is an open air market. You can buy beads, gems, handicraft items, gems, footwear, clothes etc. and can enjoy a wide range of delicious cuisines. You need to buy tickets for entry which is Rs. 20 for adults and Rs. 10 for kids. The nearest metro station is Netaji Subhash Palace Metro Station. The market is run by Delhi Tourism and Transportation Development Corporation. It is open all the days of the week. Delhi Haat has become famous place among Delhi youth, especially for food, cultural activities, festivals, music. Comic Con was also held in February 2011at Delhi Haat.
- Chandni Chowk: This place is among most famous places in Delhi and also among oldest in the city. For over hundreds years, the market is in existence. The busy narrow streets are full of shops selling wide range of items from clothes, footwear, and electronics especially in Bhagirath Palace area. One of the ancient silver markets is Dariba Kalan where you can shop silver items. Once you get tired of shopping, visit the very famous Paranthe Wali gali where Akshay Kumar used to work.
So, above ten where famous markets in Delhi, though we all know the list never ends. There are so many markets which we have not listed here. We will cover them in our different list in separate category. There we only listed famous markets in Delhi. For our other list of famous markets in Delhi stay connected and keep on reading. You can tell us about what you feel in comments.
The post Famous Markets in Delhi appeared first on FoodRavel.