In 1988-1992 I have been studied in university (this time university last 5 years). This was very complicated and messy time.
Of course, students are always poor and has complicated life But this time in Estonia took place changes.
We have been more than 40 years occupied by soviet union, all this period were lack of food products, deficit. Most of milk and meat and butter, produced in Estonia, were sent to the Russia.
But in the beginning of 90-s, was situation very bad. This was not only deficit, but to get any milk, butter, flour, sugar, semolina…. and so one, you must have a special coupon.
today is very cool to be vegan, This time we have to be vegans…we fryed potatoes using water, and this salad was one of the main dish. Vegetables were something, what we had….. Because most of the Estonians had and have some land in country or country grandmothers.
Old-school cabbage and carrot salad
A fresh, light salad
- ca 300 g cabbage. For this salad is the best to use ” old” cabbage
- 1 carrot
- ca 2 tablespoon oil
- For seasoning: 1 part salt/ 1 part sugar/2 parts food vinegar you can use any acid or vinegar. But for authentic result use rapeseed oil and regular 30 % food vinegar
- 1. Cut the cabbage in to very fine strips. Use big bowl to have enough space.
- Add some salt and sugar. Late you can add more for final seasoning,
- Wash your hands.
- Using your hands, squeeze, push, press cabbage. Cabbage is ready, when it is white and little bit transparent and juicy.
- Grate carrot in
- season with oil, salt, sugar and vinegar.
Soundtrack Kaire Vilgats ” Kui sul on raske”