Meat Jelly, Sült is very good example, how time changes the meaning of some food. In old times Sült was winter time food. Because it takes 4-6 hours to cook it and this will heat the kitchen hot. Because in old times for winter was left only pork legs and heads, which are suitable for cooking Sült. It was “poor” food. Today all ladies know, how important is collagen…
Today, for me, this is perfect summer dish. Sült is cold and with cold cottage cheese sauce and boiled fresh potatoes.. yummy
My father still cooking Sült himself. It is very complicated to cook Sült only for 2 persons and still you need very large pot. So, I buy sült in summer time from culinary. And in winter time, I get it from my father. This is my father recipe.
For cooking Sült you need glue-rich meat.
- veal legs, pig-, sheep- and rabbit meat
- pork legs, beef-, veal-and reindeer meat
- rind and about the same amount of beef, lamb or chicken
- lamb legs, pork back legs, young beef
- pork head, pork legs and veal meat
And for cooking Sült you need large pot and lot of time, to let Sült simmer.
Meat Jelly. Sült
A Estonian meat jelly Sült
- 1 big pork back leg ( ca 1 kg) or mix of other meats look at on the top
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 5 black pepper corn, 3 spice corn, 1 bay leaf, salt
- during boiling evaporating at least half of the water. Do not add additional water during boiling. If it necessary, add only BOILING water
- to get right taste add salt in the end of cooking
- meat must be fresh. Do not use frozen and melted meat.
- young animals bones contains more glue/collagen. Sült congeals better
- to get clear Sült, remove foam very carefully. And do not boil. Sült must just simmer.
- unpeeled onion and carrot gives color. So, you can leave them off. Or on the contrary, add more vegetables (celery, peas), and fill 1/3 of set bowl bottom with vegetables.
- do not remove fat. It helps prolong self-life.
- you can keep Sült in cold freezer. If necessary, boil frozen Sült again, and let set again before eating.
[caption id="attachment_3323" align="alignright" width="285"] Sült[/caption]
Serve with hot boiled potatoes, mustard, vinegar or horseradish.
Soundtrack Curly Strings ” Hommik”