Sakkarai Pongal is an auspicious neivedhyam made in many perumal(Lord Venkateshwara) temples. It is the main recipe made on the occasion of Thai Pongal. However it is also made at home during many occasions. We can make this recipe with or without adding milk into it. Here I have posted the recipe without adding milk into it.
Raw rice – 1/2 cup
Moong dhal – 1/2 cup
Jaggery – 1 cup
Cardamom powder – A pinch
Cashews – Few
Raisins – Few
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Water – 3 cups
- Pressure cook the rice and moong dhal together. Mash it well.
- Dissolve the jaggery and strain it. Allow it to boil.
- Add the cooked rice and moong dhal into it.
- Add cardamom powder, ghee and mix well.
- In a separate kadai add ghee and fry the cashews.. When it turns golden brown, add the raisins.
- Add the nuts and raisins into sakkarai pongal.
- Yummy and delicious sakkarai pongal is ready to serve.
Filed under: Payasam, Recipes Tagged: festival recipe, sakkarai pongal, sweet, Tamil nadu recipe
This post first appeared on Super Duper Kitchen | Niranjana's Yummy Yummy Recipes!, please read the originial post: here