While people usually talk about being overweight or obese, being Underweight is another significant problem. Being too skinny is a problem that also needs some intervention since it can be as harmful to health as being overweight. Moreover, a good number of people want to add more weight even if they are not clinically underweight. The methods to add weight work whether you are clinically underweight or just want to add weight for other reasons.
Risks of being underweight
You could be exposed to some health risks for being underweight, the same way that being overweight poses some problems. Here are some of the risks of being underweight:
· Early death– One study showed that men and women are at 140% and 100% higher risk of early death respectively due to being underweight. Conversely, obesity was associated with a 50% greater risk of early death. This indicates that being underweight is riskier than being overweight. Moreover, different research showed that being underweight may be worse for men than women.
· Impaired immunity -Being underweight can negatively affect your immune system and lead to higher risks of infection.
· Age-related issues– Underweight people are more likely to have age-related muscle wasting (sarcopenia) and have higher risks of getting dementia.
· Other problems-Having lower than the normal weight can lead to fertility problems, osteoporosis, and fractures.
Tips for gaining weight healthily
Some ways of adding weight are unhealthy and pose risks, but the following can help you Gain weight faster and safely:
· Have a calorie surplus in your body
While working on shedding some pounds, you have to have a calorie deficit by eating fewer calories than your body needs. Conversely, to gain weight, you need a calorie surplus, and you get it by consuming more calories than your body expends. To gain weight gradually, you need to purpose to get 300-500 calories over and above your body’s daily need according to the calorie calculators. And to bulk up faster, aim at 700-1000 calories above your normal needs. You can also add some steroids to your routine to supplement the diet and workouts in helping you gain weight. You can read here about such steroids.
· Eat 3 to 5 times per day and include more carbs, proteins, and fats
You could also adopt a 3-5 meals plan per day or have snacks in between meals when working on gaining weight. It would also help to have plenty of high carb and high-fat foods in your diet if your priority is to add weight. You also need to have enough proteins in your diet. This is because proteins are vital for building muscles. The best quantity of proteins to consume is 0.8-2.0g of proteins for each kilogram of your body weight. Some rich sources of protein include legumes, fish, eggs, meat, and poultry.
· Have at least 3 weight training sessions every week
Besides diet, weight training is crucial when working on healthy weight gain and you need to have at least three workout sessions per week. The exercises will help to gain and keep lean muscle mass. You need to increase the weights or increase the number of reps or sets as you on with the training. What’s more is that compound movements are excellent ways to build muscle. The movements include weight lifts engaging several muscle groups, for example, squats, deadlifts, and bench presses.
On top of the above tips for adding more weight, you need to avoid intermittent fasting, and drinking water before meals because it fills your stomach reducing the amount of food you eat. You can also consider drinking milk when thirsty so you consume calories as you quench your thirst. Also, use bigger plates when eating and consume weight gainer shakes.
The post More Tips to Gain Weight appeared first on TummyGotYummy.