Freshly Homecooked is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
Warm and fluffy homemade Dinner Rolls with cornmeal. These fluffy rolls are a cross between a classic buttery dinner rolls and a classic cornbread. They are fluffy and delicious with a buttery cornbread flavor. You can even make these rolls ahead of time, after their second rise, refrigerate them overnight to bake the next day. These rolls are great to serve with any dinner, served warm topped with butter.
The yeast dough is started with activating the yeast in a bowl of warm water and sugar. After the mixture is foamy, add it to a mixture of flour and cornmeal. Along with milk, melted butter and an egg. The milk and butter will make these rolls more fluffy and tender with a buttery flavor. Knead the dough into a smooth ball and let it rise in a warm place until it has doubled in size. Roll the dough into round balls and place into a greased baking dish. At this point, you can cover and refrigerate the rolls overnight. When you are ready to bake, let the rolls come to room temperature for 1 hour and bake until golden browned.
Cornmeal Dinner Rolls
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm milk
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 large egg
- In a small bowl, combine warm water with sugar and yeast. Let sit for 10 minutes. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal and salt. Pour in yeast mixture, milk, melted butter and egg.
- Mix until a dough forms, knead dough on a floured surface until smooth. Place dough into a large greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover and let rise for 1-2 hours, or until it has doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Deflate dough and divide it into small pieces. Roll each roll into a ball and place into a greased baking dish. Cover and let rise for another 30-60 minutes. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
The post Cornmeal Dinner Rolls appeared first on Freshly Homecooked.