Chettinad Egg Curry is the spicy, gravy based egg curry with freshly grounded spices. That tastes best with rice, chapati, appam, and biryani as well. As you know, the title itself says that it belongs to the Chettinad region. This is very popular in Tamilnadu. Along with other dishes like Chettinad chicken, and Chettinad fish fry.
This is an exotic and traditional recipe. Above all, this is distinctive from other recipes because of its freshly grounded masala. Similarly, all the Chettinad dishes are bold, spicy, aromatic because of the spices they use in the recipes. This is simple egg curry yet great for special occasions.
How to make Chettinad egg curry:
To make this Chettinad egg curry, first, boil the eggs and peel the shell. Then fry the eggs in the oil until they turn golden brown. Then dry roast the spices with coconut and blend it into a paste. After that heat the oil and add onions and fry them until they become tender. Then add ginger garlic paste. Saute it for 2 mins. Then add the masala paste and tomato puree. stir fry the masala and tomato puree.
Fry the masala for 2 to 3 mins. Then add the salt, turmeric powder, chili powder, boiled eggs to the masala and give it a stir. Then add the water and cook the gravy till the desired consistency. Check the taste and sprinkle coriander leaves before turn off the stove.
Know more about ingredients:
Egg: This is the main ingredient of the recipe. For this recipe, we are using boiled eggs. Before frying the eggs better to make small cuts on the eggs. Above all, eggs are very nutritious and a great source of protein.
Eggs are a good source of healthy cholesterol. Including, eggs in your regular diet benefits eye health as well. Omega 3 fatty acids in eggs help to lower the triglycerides in the blood.
Masala paste: This is the secret behind this yummy delicious egg curry. To make this paste, first dry roast the spices, red chillis, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and coconut pieces. After that make a fine paste with water. Don’t add much water. Adjust the chilis and spices according to your taste.
Coconuts are rich in Manganese, which is important for metabolism and bone health. This is good for skin and hair too. On the other hand, it is very easy to include coconut in the diet. You can have raw coconut meat and coconut water is tasty as well.
Sesame seeds are good source fiber and vitamin B. They are one of the sources of the plant protein, and essential for building blocks of our body. similarly, poppy seeds are popular to decrease anxiety, exhaustion and helps for good sleep.
Chettinad Egg Curry
- 2 tbsp whole spices
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup coconut pieces
- 3 tbsp oil adjust
- 3 boilled eggs
- 6 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tbsp salt adjust
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup water adjust
- 2 green chilis
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- 2 red chilis
- First boil the eggs and remove the shells and keep them in a seperate bowl. After that make tomato puree and take it in a bowl.
- Then chop the onions, coriander leaves, green chilis and keep them seperately.
Preparation of the masala paste:
- Heat the pan on the medium flame and add whole spices and fry them for 2 mins. Then add the sesame deeds, popppy seeds, coconut pieces, and red chilis.
- Fry them until they turn aromatic and turn off the stove. Let them cool down. Now transfer them into the blender and make a paste with water.
- First, heat the oil in the pan and add boiled eggs to the pan and then sprinkle turmeric powder on the eggs. Fry them until they turn golden brown. Keep them in the bowl.
- Now add little more oil to the pan same pan. When the oil is hot enough add curry leaves and chopped onions to the pan.
- Stir and fry the onions until they become tender. Then add the ginger-garlic paste to the pan. Fry until the raw flavor is gone.
- Then goes the masala paste to the pan andgive it stir and fry for 2 to 3 mins. Then add the tomato puree to the pan and mix the puree well with the other ingredients.
- Fry the tomato puree until the the oil seperates from the masala. Then add the salt, turmeric powder, chili powder, and garam masala to the pan.
- Mix the spices well with the other ingredients and add water to the pan. Again give it a stir and add boiled eggs to the pan.
- Now stir continuously and cook the gravy on the medium until the desired consistency. Then add the green chili and coriander leaves to the curry.
- Cook the gravy for 2 more minutes and check the taste. Add if any spices needed. Turn off the stove and take the curry in the serving bowl.
- Serve the hot chettinad curry with rice or roti.
Watch Chettinad Egg Curry Recipe Video:
Chettinad fish fry: To make this fish fry, first, wash and clean the fish. Then take a pan and dry roast the curry leaves, garlic, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, peppercorns. Blend them with tomato, tamarind, and ginger. After that add salt, chili powder, turmeric powder to the paste.
Now marinate the fish with this masala for 20 mins. After that heat, the oil on the pan and place marinated fish on the pan. Cook the fish in the oil until they are cooked on both sides. Make sure to grill the fish on the medium flame only.
Egg bhurji/ Anda bhurji: This is the Indian version of scrambled egg. Egg burji, can be served with rice, bread, and chapati. To start the recipe, first, take a bowl and crack the eggs into the bowl. After that add salt and turmeric and beat the eggs.
Heat the oil in the pan and then add the cumin seeds and curry leaves. Then add the chopped onions and saute them until they turn tender. Next, add the ginger-garlic paste and fry until the raw flavor is gone. Then add chopped tomatoes and fry them until they become soft.
Then pour the eggs to the pan and scramble the eggs. Add salt, chili powder, and turmeric powder. Stir the eggs until they are done. Stir in between while cooking the eggs. Finally, garnish egg burji with chopped coriander leaves.
Sunnyside up eggs: This is a quick and healthy breakfast recipe. This is served with bread.
- In this recipe, the egg is fried on one side and egg yolk is runny. First, heat the pan and add oil or butter to the pan.
- Then crack the egg on one side of the pan, and the second egg on the other edge.
- Now cover the lid and cook until the white is cooked. But the yellow should be runny.
- Now slide this from the pan and sprinkle some salt and pepper. Serve this with bread.
The post Chettinad Egg Curry Recipe appeared first on MUMMY RECIPES.