Missi Roti is a popular Indian flat bread made with whole wheat flour (atta), gram flour (besan) and other herbs and spice powder. Herbs like ginger, green chilli, fenugreek leaves and cilantro leaves are used to flavour this roti.
It is a household name in Punjab and Rajasthan. In Punjab this roti is generally cooked in a charcoal tandoor, which makes it crisp and light brown. Due to uses of chilli this roti is little bit spicy in taste and can be served with dal and other curries as well.
You can easily make this roti at home like restaurant or dhaba style. The main ingredients are wheat flour, gram flour, onion and chilli.
To give it a restaurant style flavour use dry Fenugreek leaves and hing powder. The use of hing powder is totally optional but it can enhance the taste to double.
Tips to make best Missi roti
- Use 2 : 1 ratio of wheat flour and gram flour.
- Use crushed coriander seeds to increase the flavour.
- Use carom seeds (ajwain) for a balanced digestion.
- Use ghee instead of butter for traditional flavour.
Steps to make the recipe
Take atta in a mixing bowl and add besan, chopped onions, chopped chilli, chopped ginger, turmeric powder, crushed coriander seeds, carom seeds, hing powder, salt and chopped coriander leaves.
Pour water slowly and start to knead slowly. Make a soft palpable dough like chapati.
Grease some oil and knead further for 2 minutes. Cover and set aside for 10 min to set.
Now divide the dough into equal parts. Dust them with some wheat flour and roll between the palm of hands to make round shaped balls.
Take one ball and dust with some flour on both sides. Press slightly and roll using a roller pin into a 5 to 6 inch diameter round shaped roti.
Heat a tawa or pan over medium heat flame fire. When it become hot place the rolled roti over it.
When some tiny small bubbles start to rise over the surface of the roti, flip it to another side.
Cook for sometime and apply some ghee or butter over it and flip.
Similarly apply ghee or butter on the other side and flip.
Cook the roti on both sides till become light brown on both sides.
Remove and keep in a roti basket or serve hot immediately.
Cook the rest of the roti like this way.
Tandoori Missi roti
Use of tandoor is very common in Punjabi households. They cook this roti in tandoor which makes it more crisp and easily digestible.
To make roti in a tandoor the dough should be little soft and smooth compare to regular chapati dough. Rotis are flatten by the palm of hands so the dough need to be soft. Ingredients remains same. The roti are roasted over medium heat charcoal fire till crisp golden.
Missi roti for weight loss
Besan also known as chickpea flour or gram flour in this roti has some wonderful health benefits. And one of this benefits is weight loss.
Besan helps in faster calorie burn in the body due to the lower levels of glycemic index.
Eating Missi roti will boost the fat burning and increase nutritional level. Including in diet will reduce calorie intake in a day.
For more Indian flat bread roti and paratha recipes
- Methi paratha recipe
- Aloo paratha recipe
- Paneer paratha recipe
- Gobi paratha recipe
Missi roti recipe
Missi roti is a popular Indian flat breads made by using whole wheat flour with chickpea flour (besan) and other herbs and spices. It is little bit spicy and can be served with dal or any other curries.
Prep time 10 min, cook time 10 min, serve 3
Author : Mobasir hassan
- 2 cup whole wheat flour (Atta)
- 1 cup Bengal gram flour (besan)
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 green chili finely chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon crushed coriander seeds
- 1/3 tablespoon carom seeds (ajwain)
- 1/4 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 tablespoon kastoori methi
- 1/4 tablespoon salt or as per taste
- Small pinch of hing powder
- 1/3 cup coriander leaves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- Butter or ghee for roasting
- Water as required
- Take 2 cup wheat flour in a mixing bowl. Add 1 cup besan and the remaining ingredients chopped onions, chopped green chillies, ginger, coriander seeds, carom seeds, turmeric powder, kastoori methi, hing powder, coriander leaves and salt.
- Mix everything nicely and then pour water slowly. Start to make a soft and palpable dough like chapati.
- Grease the with 2 tablespoon cooking oil and knead again for 2 minutes. Cover and set aside for 10 min to set
- Divide the dough into equal parts and roll between the palm of hands to make round shaped balls. Dust them with flour while making the balls.
- Take one dough ball and dust them with flour and roll using a roller pin.
- Roll the dough for around 6 inch in diameter round shaped roti.
- Heat a tawa or a pan over medium heat flame. When it become hot , place the rolled Missi roti over it.
- When small bubbles start to rise on the surface flip it to another side and roast.
- Apply some butter or ghee on the surface and flip again. Similarly apply butter or ghee to the other side and flip.
- Roast the Missi roti till light brown on both sides.
- Remove and keep in a roti basket or serve immediately. Similarly roll and cook the rest of Missi roti.
Missi roti recipe video
- Calorie : 154
- Fats : 1 g
- Protein : 7 g
- Carbohydrate : 30 g
- You can make this recipe vegan by not using ghee, butter and hing powder.
- Chilli chicken recipe
- Chicken lababdar
- Palak paneer recipe
- Jalebi recipe
- Honey chilli potato recipe
- Chicken lollipop recipe
- Veg manchurian recipe