Savory keto Muffins with shredded cheddar cheese and diced ham for breakfast for on the go or enjoy anytime!
This super satisfying and filling muffin has plenty of stick to your ribs fats, and under 2 carbs per muffin!
Do you have leftover ham from Easter? If so, then you can use it to add in this muffin. Otherwise, a ham steak purchased from your grocery store is fine too.
I don’t know about you, but muffins are my go-to quick snack, but most are on the sweet side; blackberry yogurt muffins, sweet potato muffins, and pecan muffins are some of my favorites.
Keto Muffins With Ham & Cheese
However, lately I’ve been craving another breakfast or snack option that doesn’t taste like a dessert. THIS ham and cheese muffin is IT!
For this recipe I used my Low Carb Baking Mix, which is a nut free blend of oat fiber, whey protein, coconut flour, and flax seed meal. It’s such a unique combination of ingredients that work well in low carb baking recipes.
Mixing your own low Carb Baking Mix is economical and really easy to whip up. However, if you prefer a ready made mix, then you might want to experiment with Carbquick or this Baking Blend from Trim Healthy Mama.
I’m really enjoying using my mix in baked goods. It’s been a nice change from some of the other low carb flours like almond.
How to make low carb muffins
Once you have your low carb baking mix whisked together, then it is just a matter to mixing the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients together before folding in chunks of ham and shredded cheese.
Gather these ingredients: low carb baking mix, baking powder, butter, eggs, leftover ham and cheese. That’s it!
Easy keto muffins mix in options
Once you add you wet ingredients to your dry ingredients you will want to let the batter sit undisturbed for about 5 minutes before folding in the cheese and ham.
These step will allow just the right amount of time for the coconut flour to absorb some of the wet egg and butter mix.
If you looking for some inspiration to mix into these savory keto muffins consider some other options:
- Cooked ground sausage – like a little heat? Pick up a spicy blend.
- BACON – either pork or turkey will be a delicious addition
- Spices or herbs – a teaspoon of your favorite dry spices or a tablespoon of fresh herbs will turn these muffins to another fabulous flavor profile: Italian seasoning mix, chopped green onion, basil, dill, chives, oregano
- Cheese – mix in your favorite cheese mix like three cheese blend or a Mexican cheese mix with jalapeños.
- Vegetables – keep this vegetarian by adding chopped cooked broccoli, diced bell peppers, shredded zucchini, mushrooms or red onion to name a few.
After you fold in your extra ingredients, then bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of the muffin.
How to store muffins
To keep these fresh for up to 3 days follow these steps:
- Cool keto muffins on a baking rack.
- Remove from silicone lines (if using).
- Place two layers of paper towels on the bottom of an airtight container or plastic bag with a zipper closure. This will absorb extra moisture from the muffins.
- Put muffins on paper towels in a single layer.
- Place another paper towel on top of the muffins and close container or plastic bag.
- For savory muffins with meat and cheese, store in the refrigerator. Other muffins can be stored at room temperature.
To freeze muffins you will want to flash freeze them before placing in airtight containers or freezer bags as described in this how to freeze waffles post.
Alternatively, you can flash freeze, then wrap each muffin in plastic wrap before placing in sealable freezer containers.
Keto muffins can be frozen for up to 3 months.
To enjoy out of the freezer, place in the refrigerator overnight. Place on a baking sheet and warm in the oven at 325°F for 10 minutes.
Try these muffins too
For another savory muffin check out these zucchini protein muffins!
Let me know if you mixed the ingredients up! I would love to know what you put in yours.
Savory Keto Muffins
These muffins are nut and gluten free with shredded cheddar cheese and diced ham. Enjoy for breakfast or a snack anytime of day. Perfect for Keto and low carb diet followers.
- 1/2 cup low carb baking mix
- 1 /2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted melted and cooled
- 3 eggs, large lightly beaten
- 1 cup diced ham, cooked
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 325°F degrees. Lightly grease silicone muffin cups if using or muffin baking tin.
- In a medium bowl whisk together low carb baking mix and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl mix the cooled melted butter and eggs together.
- Form a well in the center of the dry mix and pour in the wet mixture. Fold ingredients together. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Fold in diced ham and cheddar cheese.
- Put about 1/4 cup of muffin batter in muffin cups or baking tin.
Total carbs is 6.77 for whole recipe. Each muffin is .85 carbs
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 185Total Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 0gCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 10g
Please note that the nutritional information provided are guidelines and may vary based on the brand of products used. For your specific nutritional goals use My Fitness Pal or Verywell Fit recipe calculators. All content within this site is not intended as medical diagnosis or treatment and should not be considered a substitute for professional medical expertise.
PIN TO YOUR KETO, LOW CARB MUFFIN AND BREAD BOARDS
The post Savory Keto Muffins appeared first on The Foodie Affair.