Sloppy Joes are the best! My mom used to make them all the time when I was little. With 4 kids, it was something easy and super quick for her to make as we all screamed about being hungry. I may only have one kid, but I still always want quick and easy dinners. The only difference is, Lenore and I don’t eat meat! So these vegan sweet and spicy chipotle BBQ sloppy joes are perfect for us…
Ingredients [ For 4 to 5 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 25 minutes ]
- 15 oz. can Tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Tomato paste
- 1/3 C. Agave nectar
- 2 Tbsp. Apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 C. Apple juice
- 1/2 tsp. Liquid smoke
- 1 Tbsp. Molasses
- 1 Chipotle in adobo, chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tsp. Olive oil
- 1/4 C. Sweet onion, chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 2 C. Cooked lentils
- Buns for serving
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the tomato sauce, tomato paste, agave, apple cider vinegar, apple juice, liquid smoke, molasses and chopped chipotle.
- Whisk everything together and heat on medium.
- Bring to a simmer, season with a bit of salt and pepper, reduce heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes while you make the lentil mixture.
- Now heat the olive oil in a cast iron skillet or non-stick pan on medium-high, add the onions and garlic, cook for about 2 minutes or so until the onions are translucent.
- Now add the cooked lentils, and saute everything together until the lentils are warmed through and the garlic and onions are completely cooked.
- Season with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Now taste the BBQ sauce and adjust seasoning.
- Then add the BBQ sauce to the lentils. I started by adding about half of the BBQ sauce, then a little at a time until it was as saucy as I wanted it.
- It will thicken as you cook it all together.
- Stir and reduce heat to low, simmer for a minute or so until it thickens a bit, adding as much sauce as you want(I used almost all of it, but it is up to you).
- Now remove from heat, scoop some of the lentils onto a bun.
- Serve as is, or top with some vegan coleslaw, or raw onions, or anything your heart desires. Serve immediately.