Navratan korma is rich and creamy Mughlai dish. In original, this dish is on bit sweeter side, but I have made this bit spicy too, thus reducing the effect of sweetness. The name itself suggest that this rich creamy thick curry s made of nine vegetables, it’s full of nutrients. This dish is usually made on special occasions. Navratan Korma is liked by all, and guest especially gets easily impressed by this dish.
This dish is a tribute to nine jewels or nine advisors to Great Emporer Akbar, of Moguls. So let’s try out this great dish.
You may also Like: Punjabi Matar Paneer Recipe
- 2 Medium sized Onions, finely chopped
- 3 cup of tomato puree
- 1 Cup green peas
- 1 Cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup cauliflower floret
- 1 cup french beans
- 1 cup capsicum diced
- 1 cup cabbage shredded
- 1 cup potatoes cubes
- 1 cup cottage cheese cubes (Paneer)
- 10/12 cashew nuts (Kaju)
- 10/12 Almonds (Badam)
- 1 tbsp melon seeds (Magaz)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-inch cinnamon stick
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 green cardamoms
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 2 small tomatoes, pureed
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger-garlic
- 2-3 green chilies
- ⅛ teaspoon saffron
- 3 tablespoons fresh cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- To Begin with, first soak the nuts for nuts paste, all the nuts in hot water for at least 25/30 minutes. After that drain the water and peel the almonds. Grind all the nuts to a very smooth paste. Set aside. Till then puree the tomatoes.
- Heat a pan with 1 tbsp of butter. Add cubes f cottage cheese (paneer) and saute till color changes to light golden brown. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan add ½ tbsp of butter again and add the whole spices and saute till the aroma reaches your nose.
- Add thinly sliced onions and saute well. Add crushed ginger-garlic and green chilies (Never add red chilies, that will change the rich color to red one). Saute well till the raw smell goes off.
- Now add the tomato puree and mix well. Cook till the tomatoes turn mushy and leave out the butter.
- Now add all the chopped vegetables and mix well. Add some water, mix well and close the lid of the pan and cook for 10-12 minutes. The vegetables should be cooked well.
- Now add the nuts paste and mix well. Cook for 10 minutes till the gravy thickens. Once the gravy reaches required consistency simmer the flame.
- Add the sauteed cottage cheese (paneer) cubes and mix gently.
- Now for the final stage, add a pinch of saffron, 3 tablespoons fresh cream and mix well. Simmer for just a minute. Note: Do not boil after adding cream. Remove from flame.
Now your Navratan korma is ready to serve – Serve navratan korma hot with naan, dhaba naan, roti, jeera rice etc.
Don’t miss: Mughlai Jackfruit
The post Veg Navratan Korma | Nine Jewels in a Curry by Asha Mehra appeared first on Wayways.