I doinging some research on the internet and came across this article How to Fix Canada Student Loan Debt Through Bankruptcy. l hope you find the information useful and be able to gain some knowledge from this article.
How to Fix Canada Student Loan Debt Through Bankruptcy
from wikiHow - The How to Manual That You Can Edit
Over the past few years the amount of government funding for post secondary education has decreased, and the level of student debt in Canada has increased. Decent jobs are hard for students to find, and it has become increasingly difficult for students to repay their Canada Student Loans. Here is a guide on how to fix student loan debt through bankruptcy.
- Determine if you are eligible to file for bankruptcy. Student loans are only automatically discharged if the student has been out of school for more than 7 years. If your loans are less than 7 years old, bankruptcy is only possible if you have a significant amount of other debts that you want to clear, in order to continue to service your student loan.
- Consider a repayment plan. Contact student loans and arrange a payment plan that is more affordable for you. If student loans don’t go for this idea, you could also contact a licensed credit counselor in your area to negotiate on your behalf.
- Consider a consumer proposal. Consumer proposals have proven to be a successful alternative for many debtors. If your loans are at least two years old, you should have a good chance of success. Furthermore, the proposal period is generally five years, so at the end of the term your loan will be over 7 years old. To qualify for a consumer proposal you must be working, or have a stable income from some other source.
- Contact a Bankruptcy trustee/attorney. A licensed bankruptcy trustee can review your personal situation, and help you determine the best possible alternative for you individual needs.
- To find a bankruptcy trustee or attorney in your area. Visit www.bankruptcy-america.com, or www.bankruptcy-canada.ca.
- How to Consolidate Loans
- How to Maintain Good Credit
- How to Rebuild Credit After Bankruptcy
Article provided by wikiHow, a wiki how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to Fix Canada Student Loan Debt Through Bankruptcy. All content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons license.