Getting away from home with your family is a great way to de-stress and to enjoy some time with the ones you love. Unfortunately, going on Vacation can get expensive – especially with the whole family on board! Follow these simple money-saving tips to plan a great vacation that won’t empty your pocketbook.
Tips for Saving Money on a Vacation
Going on vacation can be expensive but there are plenty of simple things you can do to save a few bucks on travel. Below you will find a list of simple tips and tricks for cutting costs without compromising your family’s vacation experience.
- Start by deciding on a budget. When you are on vacation it is easy to splurge without really thinking about the final tally of your spending – after all, you are on vacation and you want to live a little! But spending a few extra dollars here and there can add up quickly. The best way to limit your spending on a family vacation is to decide ahead of time how much you can afford and then plan within those limits.
- Identify ways you can cut costs at home. If you want to drum up a little extra money to put in your vacation fun, start thinking about ways you can cut costs at home. When is the last time you actually went to the gym? And are you still paying for cable services that you rarely use? Really think about where your money goes and where there may be opportunities for saving.
- Save money by eating at home. Going out to dinner a few times a month is great, but if you find yourself eating out several times a week you could be flushing money down the drain. Try to cut back on eating out and take advantage of local deals such as restaurants that allow kids to eat free on certain nights of the week. Another great way to cut costs is to spend a whole week preparing meals using only ingredients from your pantry – you can put your weekly grocery budget right into your vacation fund!
- Plan your itinerary in advance. With money-saving apps like Groupon and LivingSocial you can plan your vacation itinerary ahead of time and save money by purchasing these daily deals. Not only will you save money this way, but you may find some unique activities that you wouldn’t have considered otherwise! You can also check your destination’s cultural website to find free activities like museums, parks, zoos, and more.
- Don’t spend money on non-necessities. Make your vacation about the experience and not about the souvenirs you bring home – you don’t need a commemorative t-shirt or shot glass to remember your vacation! You can also save money by leaving your toiletries at home and taking advantage of free items at your hotel.
By following the simple tips listed above you can significantly cut your family’s vacation costs and you can do it without sacrificing the things that matter most to you! You will be so amazed at how much money these easy tips save you that you will be eager to plan your family’s next vacation right away!