Every minute the August 31 deadline for your Heavy Vehicle Use Tax Form 2290 creeps a little closer. It’s already the last week of July, and the deadline will be here before you know it, so be prepared to file. Also, be sure to keep in mind that not only do you need to file by the deadline, but you need to pay the amount of HVUT you owe by the deadline as well, and you have a few different payment options.
How To Pay Your HVUT
While filing your 2290 with ExpressTruckTax you’ll follow a step-by-step guide to complete your form in a matter of minutes. Once you get to the IRS payment step you can choose between 3 different payment options based on the most convenient method for you.
1. Direct Debit or Electronic Funds Withdrawal (EFW), is the payment option where you provide your banking information (account and routing number) through ExpressTruckTax’s safe and secure system to authorize the IRS to debit the amount you owe from your bank account. It is important that your account has enough funds to cover the amount you owe.
The amount is generally withdrawn in 24 to 48 hours after providing authorization. Keep in mind that this involves your banking information, not your card number. The IRS will not accept credit cards.
If you need to cancel your payment contact IRS payment services at 1.888.353.4537 at least 2 days before the payment date.
2. EFTPS (Electronic Federal Tax Payment System) is the electronic tax payment system used by the IRS. If you choose this payment option you will be taken to the EFTPS site, here, and you’ll create a free account.
In order to pay the IRS through EFTPS, you will provide your bank account information and verify that the IRS is allowed to withdraw your tax payment from that account. In order to make your payment by the deadline, you must schedule it before 8 p.m. the day before the deadline for it to be received by the IRS in time.
3. You can also pay the amount of HVUT you owe with a Check or Money Order. If you choose this option you will need to print your completed payment voucher, 2290-V, from page 5 of your completed 2290 Form.
Remember to never send cash through the mail. Also, you will need to include your name, address, EIN, the date, and the words “IRS Form 2290” with your payment. Do not staple your payment and voucher together.
Send your payment and voucher 2290-V to:
Internal Revenue Service,
P.O. Box 804525,
Important: If you have already paid your HVUT via Direct Debit or EFW and received a letter from the IRS saying they were unable to debit the funds there are a few likely causes:
- Your account and routing number were entered into ExpressTruckTax incorrectly. Even entering one character incorrectly will prevent the IRS from being able to withdraw the amount you owe.
- The IRS tried to debit your account, but you had insufficient funds. If you are even as little as 50 cents short then the IRS will not debit the funds.
If you receive a letter from the IRS saying they could not withdraw the funds from the bank account provided then you will need to send a check or money order to the IRS in order to pay the amount you owe by the August 31st deadline.
We’re Here To Help
If you need any assistance or have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact the outstanding ExpressTruckTax support team. We’re available Monday - Friday from 8 AM to 7 PM EST at 704.234.6005. You can also reach us via live chat and through our 24/7 email support at [email protected]