This sunny Citrus Vinaigrette is light and bursting with citrus. The perfect vinaigrette for your favorite salad. Yields about 1 cup or 10 (1½ tablespoon) servings.
Brighten up these winter days with a sunny citrus vinaigrette.
Lately in Michigan it’s been in the negatives most mornings and not much warmer by the afternoon. It’s been snowy, cold and kind of gloomy and it’s days like this that makes me a) grateful I work from home and b) over winter. It’s all cozy-cozy leading up to Christmas and then come mid to late January I am so done.
One way I like to overcome the winter blues, is by adding a little sunshine to my salad in the form of this deliciously bright citrus vinaigrette.
A simple vinaigrette of orange and lemon sweetened with a little honey and made in minutes.
To Make This Citrus Vinaigrette You will Need:
- fine sea salt
- white balsamic vinegar or champagne vinegar
- orange zest and juice
- lemon zest and juice
- dijon mustard
- onion powder
- black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
Start by adding 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar (or use champagne vinegar) to your blender or mini food processor.
I like to add these first so that the vinegar can start dissolving the salt a bit.
Next grate the zest from 1 orange (about 1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons) and 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon).
Add the citrus zest to the blender and pour in 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice and 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Next measure and add in 2 tablespoons honey.
And add in 1 tablespoon dijon mustard, 1 clove freshly grated garlic, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Secure the lid and blend well. Scrape the bottom of your blender to make sure all of the honey gets incorporated.
Perfectly creamy citrusy vinaigrette!
Yields about 1 cup.
I love it drizzled over this citrus spinach salad. Just add baby spinach to a bowl and top with orange segments, thinly sliced granny smith apple, red onion (soaked in an ice bath to remove some of its bite – optional), toasted almonds and crumbles of ricotta salata!
Enjoy! And if you give this Citrus Vinaigrette recipe a try, let me know! Snap a photo and tag me on twitter or instagram!
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt more or less to taste
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 orange zested
- 2 tablespoons orange juice freshly squeezed
- 1 lemon zested
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic freshly grated
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Add salt, vinegar, orange zest and juice, lemon zest and juice, honey, dijon, grated garlic, onion powder and black pepper into a blender, mini food processor or magic bullet.
- Blend until the honey is combined. Scrape the bottom of your blender to make sure all of the honey gets incorporated.
- Remove the center plug from the lid of your blender, partially cover with a clean kitchen towel and with the blender on low, slowly pour in the olive oil.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.