This Naked Beef Burrito Skillet has everything that you love in a burrito only unstuffed in one saucy skillet. Seasoned ground beef, bell pepper, onion and jalapeños tossed with cooked rice, pinto beans and cheese. Serve in bowls with all of your favorite toppings. Serves 6.
Easy Dinner Alert!
You guys!!! I have a super quick and simple dinner recipe for you today! Lately I’ve added this to our dinner menu once a week because it’s a no-brainer recipe and incredibly delicious. This skillet loaded with seasoned lean ground beef, peppers and onions, cooked rice, pinto beans and of course cheese! Basically, everything you love in a beef burrito minus the tortilla.
I like to serve this in bowls with our favorite toppings!
We scoop it up with tortilla chips – because why dirty forks if you don’t have to? However we have also added it to soft taco shells – which no longer makes this a naked beef burrito skillet, but delicious nonetheless.
To Make This Naked Beef Burrito Skillet You Will Need:
- lean ground beef
- red bell pepper
- yellow onion
- kosher salt
- tomato paste
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- leftover cooked rice
- pinto beans
- beef broth
- hot sauce
- sharp cheddar cheese
In a deep sided skillet, add 1 pound lean ground beef, 1 diced yellow onion (about 1 cup), 1/2 a large red pepper (diced small), 1 large jalapeño (diced – remove seeds and ribs for less heat) with a pinch of kosher salt.
Use a wooden spatula to break up the meat, cooking over medium heat until no longer pink and the vegetables are tender.
Next add in 2 tablespoons tomato paste, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon onion powder.
Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
Add in 1-1/2 cups cooked rice and 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans that have been rinsed and drained.
Pour in 1-1/4 cups beef broth.
Stir and cook until most of the broth has evaporated and the mixture is saucy.
Add a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce.
And 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
Taste and season with kosher salt to your liking.
I like to serve this family-style so everyone can dish out their own and top with whatever they like.
Personally, I add roughly 1 generous cup into bowls and top with things like; plain nonfat greek yogurt or sour cream, more shredded cheese, avocado, green onions, torn cilantro and your favorite hot sauce.
Enjoy! And if you give this Naked Beef Burrito Skillet recipe a try, let me know! Snap a photo and tag me on twitter or instagram!
Naked Beef Burrito Skillet
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion diced, about 1 cup
- 1/2 large red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 large jalapeño diced - seeds and ribs removed for less heat
- kosher salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1¼ cups beef broth
- 1½ cups leftover cooked rice
- 1 can pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a deep sided skillet, add the lean ground beef and diced yellow onion, red pepper, jalapeño (seeds and ribs removed for less heat) with a pinch of kosher salt.Use a wooden spatula to break up the meat, cooking over medium heat until no longer pink and the vegetables are tender.
- Next add in tomato paste, chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder and onion powder. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in cooked rice and pinto beans and pour in beef broth. Stir and cook until most of the broth has evaporated and the mixture is saucy.
- Lastly, add in the cheddar and a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce. Stir, taste and season with salt to your preference.
- Add 1 generous cup of the beef and rice mixture into bowls, top with your favorite toppings and serve with tortilla chips. (see notes)
- plain nonfat greek yogurt or sour cream
- more shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- green onion
- cilantro leaves
- hot sauce
- lime wedges