- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast, skinless and boneless, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 cup white potatoes (1/2 lb), cubed
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup carrots (1/2 lb), coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- ½ medium carrot, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 stalks scallion, chopped
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, ground
- 2 tsps hot (or jalapeño) pepper
- 1 cup okra (1/2 lb), sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- Add oil to a large pot.
- Heat pot over medium flame.
- Stir in flour.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until flour begins to turn golden brown.
- Slowly stir in all the broth using a wire whisk and cook for 2 minutes. The mixture should not be lumpy.
- Add all ingredients except okra. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add okra and let cook for 15 to 20 more minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve hot in a bowl or over rice.
This healthy recipe has 165 calories per serving and 4g of fat. Complement your healthy diet with a great workout routine. To learn about the cardio equipment we can provide for your Phoenix area home, contact Fitness 4 Home Superstore.
The post Healthy Recipe: Chicken Gumbo appeared first on Fitness 4 Home Superstore.