If you’re done celebrating the turn of the calendar, then its time to thing about the 2017 tax deadlines. Below is a quick calendar of the tax deadlines for 2017. We’ve highlighted the dates that have changed from last year — several things are due sooner than they were in 2016.
- January 17th: due date to pay 4th quarter estimated taxes.
- January 31st:
- Due date to send out 1099s and W-2s to recipients.
- New Deadline: due date to file 1099s/1096s with amounts in Box 7 and W-2s/W-3s with the IRS. Previously these were not due to the IRS until February 28th if paper filing and March 31st if filing electronically.
- Healthcare open enrollment for 2017 closes.
- February 28th: due date to file 1099s/1096s that do not have amounts in Box 7 if you are paper filing.
- March 15th:
- Due date to file S-Corp (1120S) returns
- Due date to elect S-Corp status for existing corporations or LLCs.
- New Deadline: due date to file partnership returns (1065). Previously these were not due until April 15th.
- March 31st: due date to file 1099s/1096s that do not have amounts in Box 7 if you are filing electronically.
- April 17th:
- Due date to file individual (1040) and trust (1041) returns.
- New Deadline: due date to file C-Corp returns. Previously these were dueMarch 15th.
- Last day to make HSA contributions and contributions to the majority of retirement plans.
- Due date to pay 1st quarter estimated payments.
- May 15th: due date to file most nonprofit returns (Form 990).
- June 15th: due date to pay 2nd quarter estimated payments.
- September 15th:
- Due date for extended S-Corp and partnership tax returns.
- Due date to pay 3rd quarter estimated payments.
- October 2nd New Deadline: due date for extended trust returns. Previously these were due September 15th.
- October 16th:
- Due date for extended individual tax returns.
- New Deadline: due date for extended C-Corp returns. Previously these were due September 15th.
- November 15th New Deadline: due date to file extended nonprofit returns. Previously you could apply for a 3 month extension (August 15th) and a second three month extension (November 15th). This changes it to one six-month extension like most other returns.
The year will be over before you know it … Now is the time to prepare your accounting records for review by your tax person! Call FUSE … we can help!
photo credit: danielfoster437 Calendar via photopin (license)
The post 2017 Tax Deadlines and Calendar appeared first on FUSE - CFO Services and Financial Consulting.