Google has become a phenomenon by itself in this century so much so that it is used as a verb when someone wants to find the information on the web. All you have to do is just “Google it.” Starting from its origin more than a decade ago to help people organize and search information on the web Google has come a long way to provide relevant information to users with a simple click of a button. By learning the keywords people search for Google can identify political, economic, social and many other macro trends very easily.
Now, you do need to be somewhat fluent in how to search for items effectively on Google. You also need to know what you are looking for and how to frame the query to get the most relevant information quickly. Once you master these skills you can use Google trend tools to know what happened on this day in 1854 or even what is expected to happen to Zica virus epidemic in coming months. You can also find out if it is the right time to buy the plane ticket now or wait for few days when prices are expected to drop.
People at Local Digital had this fun idea of using various research tools Google provides to understand what is happening in the Australian political climate. They searched various political issues with the help of several Google tools such as Keyword Planner, Google Trends and Google Autocomplete to come up with a fascinating Infographic that shows the current political climate in Australia.
Here are some interesting insights they came up with
- Aussies searching for information on negative gearing spiked in February when Bill Shorten announced his policy. Guess they expect him to run his campaign on negative gearing
- Aussies think that it costs too much to live in Australia
- Aussies care too much about internet speed
- Aussies are getting more and more interested in the debate over marihuana legalization
- On the face value Australian have accepted that government has free reign to spy on them
As you can see just by looking at Google keywords and trends you can come up with pretty interesting insights on what people in a certain country care about at any given time. Go over to the Infographic from the link above to learn more fascinating facts about Australian political trends.