Are you a looking at how to be a good Salon manager in your own salon or one that you manage?
Belliata Salon Software have put together everything you need to do and to succeed be a successful salon manager
We will also cover how you can develop your salon manager career through better skills and training.
But it isn’t as easy as you might think..
Being a hair stylists or nail technician for instance are very different roles and within these roles you do not have much exposure to how to manage a salon business.
Are You Aware Of The Full Responsibilities Of A Salon Manager?
We will find out how to be a good salon manager, what does a salon manager do and how you can become the best.
Why not checkout our salon manager job description to find our more details about this important management position.
What Is Salon Management? [Definition]
Salon management is the daily management of a hair, beauty or nail salon operations
Generally carried out by either the salon owner, manager or director it involves ensuring the salon makes profitable growth through various means, including; client retention, developing the right services and selling the correct products.
Salon management also involved the management, recruitment, training and retention of staff.
What are The Duties Of A Salon Manager?
Ensuring you manage your day properly is how to manage a successful hair salon, if you don’t do these things, you are likely to
- Manage salon marketing to ensure occupancy of stylist and other staff are maximums
- Staff management, including recruitment, training and scheduling
- Inventory management, ensure that both back bar and retail products are stocked and this includes no overstocked which can reduce cashflow
- Manage customer experience
- Maximizing appointment schedule
- Health & safety
- Financial management
- Salon Marketing – develop your annual marketing plan and ensure it is aligned to different events through the year, such as winter and spring
How To Manage A Salon
Running your own salon can be a big task to think about, whether you are managing your own hair salon or spa or managing it on behalf of someone else.
How To Manage Client Expectations In A Salon?
How To Manage Salon Staff?
As a good salon manager, you will be expected to carry out the following tasks in relationship to managing staff.
A good relationship with staff is essential as salon teams are a very close working environment and issues can arise between staff frequently if the salon is not managed correctly.
Remember to lead by example, do not get involved in ‘small talk’ or gossip with other staff about your team as this can lead you to be in compromising situations.
- Recruitment – ensure that you have a good pool of experience and creative staff to join the salon whether to replace leavers or to expand due to client demand
How To Manage Time Effectively In A Salon
This is an essential and often overlooked part of salon management. Maximizing the appointment schedule within a salon can improve profits and customer experience.
There are various ways you can manage your time effectively in a salon and that can be through using salon software to manage your staffs schedule and automating many of the daily tasks within your salon. You can also use
There are two ways which manage time effectively in a salon and this is through:
- Salon software – this is become the more common way for salons to be manage their schedule easily and hassle free. As a salon manager you are able to see what slots of free
- Paper appointment book – this is getting less and less in salons, as more move to cloud based salon booking software but still is in 70% of salons globally.
There are many aspects you need to become aware of when your are looking
How To Manage Salon Inventory
Salon inventory is a key element to the profitability of a salon. Ensuring that you have the correct level of stock is essential as if you get it wrong it can reduce your retail sales and
Keeping tracking of your inventory, either through using salon inventory control sheets or via salon inventory software then it should form part of your daily role.
How To Manage Salon Finances
There re various aspects you need to be aware of when managing the finances of a salon these could be:
- Wages & Commissions
- Chair Rent Collection – if you run a salon of both renters
- Banking & Merchant Services (i.e. credit and debit card payments)
But as part of your daily tasks will be the end of day reporting to ensure you books add up, this is where you will take away your daily float (i.e. the amount you start with every day) . But you will either do your own book keeping in house and you can use software like xero.com or quickbooks.com or have your account manage the process for you.
How Much Money Does A Salon Manager Make?
This can be like how long is a piece of string. There are very aspects relating to salon management salary
- Number of staff to manage
- Revenues within salon
- Cost of services in salon
What Are Salon Manager Requirements
There are very few requirements globally on how to become a salon manager but this can change wherever you are in the world. For instance in Germany you need to hold an master friseur apprenticeship to become a salon manager, where as in the UK, there is not requirement.
Many people have the mis-understanding that you need to be a hair stylists to become a salon manager, we have seen excellent salon mangers where the manager is a business manager and not from a stylists background…..this can be a huge advantage when it come to things like customer experience, marketing etc. Not being involved in the creative aspect of the business can focus the salon manager on generating new clients etc.
What skills salon manager skills
- An eye for detail
- Excellent Interpersonal skills
- A Team player
- Natural Leader
- Excellent Numericy
- Customer Focused
How To Manage Your Own Hair Salon
Our Top Salon Management Tips
- Deliver a great customer experience for your clients
- Look after your staff, as Richard Branson says: “you look after your staff, they look after you”
- Keep an eye on your competition, not just your head to head competitors but all
- Plan for the future, this could be your marketing plans, keeping up to date with fashion trends
- Learn – never stop learn both in your skill as a stylist and managing a business
The post How To Be A Good Salon Manager – Can You Be The Best? appeared first on Belliata.