Read the Daily & Weekly Current Affairs and GK Updates Ques & Ans here. Get Free Access to Competitive Exams General Knowledge Quiz in GK Eduwrap.
We have catered the Important GK Updates from the major Current Affairs Categories below. Please have a look –
Choose the Section You’d like to Read – Use these links!
National Current Affairs
International Current Affairs
Memorandum of Understanding
|Science & Technology Events|
Sports Current Affairs
|Awards & Honours List|
|Appointments GK Updates||
Important Days & Dates
|Recent Deaths Updates||
|Bills [Amendments & New]||
To get the Weekly Current Affairs & GK Eduwrap in PDF Format, please click the button below -
National Current Affairs | Access the Latest Happenings across India
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated the Delhi Metro’s Magenta Line along with UP Chief Minister Yogi Aditya Nath.
The Magneta line is 12.64 kilometers long which is equipped with communications-based train control technology. This technology allows driverless operations of the trains.
2. Karnataka’s capital city Bengaluru has become the first Indian city to get its own logo.
Brand Bengaluru gets its own logo and the tagline ‘Bengaluru- Be U’ (Be You).
The red and black logo is part English and part Kannada made by Bengalureans themselves.
The Bengaluru becomes the part of global cities like New York City, Melbourne, and Singapore to have a tourism logo of its own.
3. President Ramnath Kovind inaugurated the 100th Annual Conference of the Indian Economic Association at Acharya Nagarjuna University in Guntur of Andhra Pradesh.
Indian Economic Association is a registered body of Indian economic professionals, established way back in 1917.
Its objective is to provide a forum for debate and discussion of policy-oriented issues.
4. The 105th edition of the historic Indian Science Congress will be held at Manipur University, Imphal in March.
Since the days of Jawaharlal Nehru, the ISC was traditionally the first public function the Prime Minister addressed in the calendar year.
The annual event which is on the Prime Minister’s calendar in January, was postponed for the first time in its over 100-year history after Osmania University expressed inability to organise it due to the security reasons.
5. The Centre has recognised Odisha as a ‘Champion State’ for recording the highest growth in exports during 2016-17, official sources said.
This was announced during a review meeting of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry on the export performance of states and formulation of strategy attended by L. N. Gupta, MSME Additional Chief Secretary, Odisha.
The exports from the state have increased from INR 19,082 crore in 2015-16 to INR 40,872 crore in 2016-17
6. India’s first AC local train flagged off in Mumbai from Borivali station to Church gate in the southern part of Mumbai.
The services will replace 12 existing non-air conditioned services.
The train will make six trips daily (12 Services) from Church gate to Vihar.
Due to the maintenance issues, the train will not operate on Saturdays and Sundays.
7. Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat has launched a biography based on chronicles of his early struggle and lesser-known aspects of his life.
Titled ‘Trivendra Ek Zindaginama – Khairasain ka Sooraj’, the book is written by a doctor named Nandan Singh Bisht.
8. UP Government has launched a free household power connection scheme for the poor in the state to mark former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s birth anniversary.
The government has a target of covering 16 million by 2018-end under the scheme ‘Prakash hai to vikas hai’.
The government has also introduced ‘Kisan Uday Yojana’ scheme for farmers, under which existing 5 HP/7.5 HP submersible and coupling sets will be replaced free of cost.
9. The Odisha government has decided to set up a unique ‘Heritage Cabinet’ and an Odia Language Commission as part of its move to preserve the relics and monuments in the state and to enrich its rich culture and language.
Heritage Cabinet’ would be headed by the Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik. It would aim to protect ancient monuments, temples and archaeological sites in Odisha, and take steps to preserve the state’s culture, language, and literature.
10. UP Chief Minister Yogi Aditya Nath has announced new metro projects for Agra and Kanpur in the states.
The Chief Minister announced two major expressways in Purvanchal and Bundelkhand.
11. Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani inaugurated the 25th National Children Science Congress in Ahmedabad.
The theme for this year’s National Science Congress is “Science, Technology and Innovation for Sustainable Development”.
The special focus area is on accessibility for persons with disabilities.
12. The Indian Army and Maldives National Defence Forces (MNDF) have been caring out 8th edition of a joint military exercise in Belgaum.
The two weeks long exercise, focused on counter-terrorism operations conducted by small teams in a semi-urban setting.
The exercise is named ‘Ekuverin’, which means ‘friends’ in Maldivian language. It is aimed to enhance interoperability between the two armies and to sharpen their tactical and technical skills.
13. Telangana will be hosting an International Sweets Festival next month.
The World Sweet Festival, featuring over hundreds of sweet items, will be held from January 13 to 15.
Sweets from foreign countries will also be presented alongside the Indian delicacies.
International Current Affairs | Know What’s happening around the World
1. Singapore’s Deputy PM Teo Chee Hean will join India’s External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj for a two-day ASEAN- India Pravasi Bhartiya Divas to be held in Singapore next month.
The Pravasi Bhartiya Divas is celebrated every year to mark the contribution of the overseas Indian community in the development of India.
Road Transport and Highway Minister Nitin Gadkari and Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh and Assam, N Chandrababu Naidu and Sarbananda Sonowal, will also attend the function on 6-7 January 2018.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) | Get the Best Information Out of Top Agreements
1. A memorandum of understanding is signed between Uttar Pradesh Government and South Korea to enhance cooperation in the field of tourism, skill development, culture, and farming.
MoU was signed for giving a new dimension to cooperation in the field of tourism, skill development, culture, and farming, which will provide more employment opportunities and development.
2. The Government of Tamil Nadu and the World Bank have signed a $318 million loan agreement for the Tamil Nadu Irrigated Agriculture Modernization Project to promote climate resilient agriculture technologies, improve water management practices, and increase market opportunities for small and marginal farmers.
About 500,000 farmers of which a majority are small and marginal, are expected to get benefit from improved and modernized tank irrigation systems.
The project will rehabilitate and modernize about 4,800 irrigation tanks and 477 check dams, spread across 66 sub-basins, in delivering bulk water to irrigation systems.
3. The Union Government has inked Loan agreement with World Bank for $40 Million IBRD Credit for “Uttar Pradesh Pro-Poor Tourism Development Project”.
The project size is approximately $57.14 million, of which $40 million will be financed by World Bank, and remaining amount will be funded out of Stat.
The objective of UP Pro-Poor Tourism Development Project is to increase tourism-related benefits for local communities in targeted destinations.
4. Bank of Baroda entered into MoU with POORTI Agri Services Pvt. Ltd to enable the farmers to purchase agricultural inputs such as fertilizers, pesticides, seeds etc. provided by POORTI.
This is a Platform for Online Ordering & Rural Transformation of India known as “POORTI”.
They will work jointly to provide a digital platform for farmers to buy agri products online through Payment gateway of the bank.
Banking Awareness & Economics Current Affairs | Understand the Top Trends in India
1. Bad loans of PSBs stood at INR 7.34 lakh crore by the end of second quarter this fiscal, a bulk of which came from corporate defaulters, according to Reserve Bank of India data.
However, private sector banks’ non- performing assets (NPAs) were considerably low at INR 1.03 lakh crore by September 30.
Among the major public sector banks, State Bank of India (SBI) had the highest amount of NPAs at over INR 1.86 lakh crore.
2. The government cut the interest rate on small savings schemes, including PPF, national savings certificate (NSC) and Kisan Vikas Patra, by 0.2 percentage points for the January-March quarter, a move that will prompt banks to lower deposit rates.
As per the finance ministry notification, PPF and NSC will fetch a lower annual rate of 7.6% while KVP will yield 7.3% and mature in 11 months.
The girl child savings scheme Sukanya Samriddhi Account will offer 8.1 from existing 8.3% annually.
Term deposits of 1-5 years will fetch a lower interest rate of 6.6-7.4%, to be paid quarterly, while the five-year recurring deposit is pegged at 6.9%.
3. According to a recently released report titled 2018 World Economic League Table, India is set to overtake the United Kingdom and France to become the world’s fifth largest economy in 2018.
The report was released by Centre for Economics and Business Research, an economics consultancy based in Britain
India currently ranked seventh will overtake UK and France to become the world’s fifth largest economy in 2018 in US dollar terms and further move to third spot by 2032.
4. The Centre has pumped in the capital of INR 7,577 crore in various weak public sector banks to the rescue of ailing banks.
The government has released INR 2,257 crore to Bank of India, which was recently placed under prompt corrective action by the Reserve Bank of India.
The other big beneficiary of the latest capital infusion round is IDBI Bank, which has received INR 2,729 crore, sources said.
While Central Bank of India has got the capital support of INR 323 crore, Dena Bank has got the capital support of INR 243 crore from the government.
UCO Bank, another weak public sector bank, has got the capital support of INR 1,375 crore.
Bank of Maharashtra has received the capital support of INR 650 crore.
Bills [Amendments & New] – See How Many New Bills have been passed in 2017
1. The Parliament has passed the Indian Institute of Petroleum and Energy (IIPE) Bill, 2017. The Bill establishes the IIPE at Vishakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh as an institution of national importance.
The IIPE aims to provide high-quality education and research focusing on all aspects and themes of petroleum, hydrocarbons, and energy.
It will actively pursue research and development in the fields such as liquefied natural gas, biofuels, and renewables.
2. The Lok Sabha has passed the Goods and Services Tax (Compensation to States) Amendment Bill, 2017. The Bill amends the GST (Compensation to States) Act, 2017 and replaces an Ordinance promulgated in September 2017
The amendment bill increases maximum rate at which Compensation cess can be levied from 15 to 25% on the motor vehicle for transport of not more than 13 persons (mostly luxury vehicles), including the driver and motor vehicles falling under mentioned sub-headings.
3. The Parliament has passed National Capital Territory of Delhi Laws (Special Provisions) Second Amendment Bill, 2017. It seeks to amend National Capital Territory of Delhi Laws (Special Provisions) Second Act, 2011
The Bill extends a deadline for relocating slum dwellers and Jhuggi-Jhopri clusters, regulating street vendors, regularising unauthorized colonies, village Abadi areas in NCT Delhi and calls for creating a policy for farmhouses constructed beyond permissible limits.
4. The Lok Sabha passed the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriages) Bill 2017 declaring instant Triple Talaq illegal and criminalizes it with up to three years in jail for the husband.
The bill will be sent to the Rajya Sabha for passage before it is forwarded to the President for assent to come into force as law.
The Bill makes all declaration of talaq, including in written or electronic form (text message, email etc.) to be void and illegal i.e. not enforceable in law.
5. The Lok Sabha has passed the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Amendment) Bill 2017 to pave the way for tightening loopholes in existing code and to make resolution process more efficient.
The Bill amends the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC), 2016, and replaces an Ordinance promulgated in November 2017.
The bill redefines resolution applicant mentioned in code as a person who submits a resolution plan after receiving an invite by the insolvency professional to do so.
The Bill inserts a provision to specify that person contravening any provisions of IBC, for which no penalty has been specified, will be punishable with a fine ranging between INR 1 lakh to INR 2 crore.
Science & Technology Current Events | Stay Advanced with Latest Inventions
1. Union Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare Minister, Shri Radha Mohan Singh has launched Livestock Disease Forewarning –Mobile Application (LDF-Mobile App) in New Delhi.
It is developed by ICAR-National Institute of Veterinary Epidemiology and Disease Informatics (ICAR-NIVEDI), Bengaluru.
The app will provide early diseases warning and also information about clinical samples for diagnosis in case of the epidemic so that immediate action in case of an epidemic.
2. ISRO has announced that it would launch 31 satellites, including India’s Cartosat-2 series earth observation spacecraft, in a single mission onboard its Polar rocket on January 10.
The mission will be the first Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) mission after the unsuccessful launch of navigation satellite IRNSS-1H in August.
The mission’s main payload would be India’s Cartosat-2 series earth observation satellite.
3. China has successfully launched remote sensing satellites to conduct electromagnetic environmental probes under Yogan-30 Project.
These satellites are intended for scientific experiments, land survey, crop yield assessment, and disaster monitoring.
Remote sensing generally refers to the use of sensor technologies to detect objects. The remote sensing satellites collect data by detecting energy reflected from Earth.
4. Hyderabad-based machine learning and artificial intelligence startup, H-Bots has developed a smart policing Robocop named Hemant Karkare.
The Robocop can assist policing in handling law and order, and traffic management. It can take of security at the selected spots at malls or airports and public places.
The Life-sized robot after 26/11 martyr Hemant Karkare is a beta version robot and is made in India using all Indian components.
5. The new species of fish was discovered in East Jaintia Hills, district of Meghalaya, which was named Schistura Larketensis.
Scientist expects that this species is shifted here from New Zealand.
6. Scientists from the University of Michigan in the US have developed a new type of neural network chip using reservoir computing system to improve the efficiency of teaching machines to think like humans.
The network developed using this system can predict words before they are said during a conversation and help predict future outcomes based on the present.
The system was proved to be functional using test of handwriting recognition, a common benchmark among neural networks. Only 88 memristors were used in the system as compared to a conventional network that requires thousands for the task and achieved 91% accuracy.
7. Prithvi Advanced Air Defence (AAD) supersonic interceptor missile was successfully test-fired from a test range in Odisha. It is capable of destroying any incoming ballistic missile in low altitude.
The target missile Prithvi interceptor AAD missile was launched from launch complex 3 of Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur in Odisha.
The Prithvi interceptor is a 7.5-meter long single stage solid rocket propelled guided missile. It is equipped with a navigation system, a hi-tech computer, and electro-mechanical activator.
8. China successfully tested its first photovoltaic (solar) highway based on home-grown technology in country’s eastern Shandong province.
China became the second country in the world to construct a photovoltaic highway. France had introduced world’s first photovoltaic road fitted with solar panels in late 2016.
The tested segment of the solar highway can generate 817.2 KW of electricity and is expected to generate 1 million KW hours of electricity each year.
The one-kilometer segment of solar-powered highway covers a surface area of 5875 sq. meter.
Sports Current Affairs | Read all the Major Achievements in Popular Tournaments
|S. No.||Tournaments/Sports Names||Winners||Pictures|
|1.||U-15 Women’s Championship Runners-up||Indian Women’s Football Team|
|2.||SAFF U-15 Women’s Championship Winner||Bangladesh Women’s Football Team|
|3.||McLeod Russel Tour Championship (Golf) winner||Shubhankar Sharma|
|4.||3 Gold medal winners in Galym Zharylgapov Boxing Tournament||K Shyam Kumar (49 Kg)Naman Tanwar (91 Kg)Satish Kumar (91 Kg)|
|5.||International Twenty20 Cricket Series Winner (India v/s Shri Lanka)||India|
|6.||Globe Soccer Best Player award winner||Cristiano Ronaldo|
|7.||World Rapid Chess Championship winner||Viswanathan Anand|
|8.||Gold Winner in Women’s 25 Meter Pistol National Shooting Championship||Anisa Sayyed|
|9.||National Shooting Championship (Set New National record)||Jitu Ray|
|10.||Youngest Debutant for India’s T20Is||Spinner Washington Sundar|
|11.||World Chess Game is hosted by||Saudi Arabia|
Awards and Honours | Fetch the List of Top Awardees in Distinct Fields
|S. No.||Awards Names||Awardees Names||Pictures|
|1.||Innovative Young Biotechnologist Award||Pranita P Sarangi (Professor of Biotechnology at IIT, Roorkee)|
|2.||PETA’s person of the year||Anushka Sharma|
|3.||Harivarasanam Award||K S Chitra|
|4.||Golden Peacock Award for Risk Management||Cholamandalam MS General Insurance Company Limited|
Appointments Latest GK Updates | Upgrade Your Knowledge Cart with the List of Top Influencers
|S. No.||Position & Organization||Name||Pictures|
|1.||Secretary-General of the global human rights movement||Kumi Naidoo|
|2.||Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh||Jairam Thakur|
|3.||Football Premier League’s ambassador in India||Ranveer Singh|
|4.||New Executive Director of UNICEF||Henrietta Fore|
|5.||world’s first female ambassador to Saudi Arabia||Dominique Mineur (Belgium)|
|6.||General Manager of BCCI||Saba Karim|
|7.||NCB Director general||IPS Officer Abhay|
|8.||ICCR President||Vinay Sahasrabuddhe|
|9.||New Chief Minister of Gujarat||Vijay Rupani|
|10.||Director of SFIO||Amardeep Singh|
|11.||New Vice-President of Zimbabwe||Constantino Chiwenga|
Important Days & Dates | Mark them to Boost up your General Knowledge
|S. No.||Important Days||Dates|
|1.||Good Governance Day||25 December|
|2.||Tsunami Day||26 December|
Recent Deaths of Famous Personalities | Know who died today?
|1.||Partha Mukhopadhyay – Veteran Bengali film actor|
|2.||Dr. Daljit Singh- Eye Surgeon|
|3.||Bob Givens- The creator of bugs and bunny|
|4.||Ashok Mattoo- Veteran sports administrator|
List of Important Abbreviations asked in General Awareness | IBPS, SSC, RRB Exams
Fill up your knowledge cart with the Important Abbreviations that are asked in General Awareness & Current Affairs section of the competitive exams like – IBPS, SSC & RRB. Below, we are presenting you a list of Top Abbreviations that were used in this article. Please check it out –
|S. No.||Important Abbreviations||Full Forms|
|1.||ISC||Indian Science Congress|
|2.||MSME||Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises Department|
|5.||MNDF||Maldives National Defence Forces|
|6.||ASEAN||Association of Southeast Asian Nations|
|7.||IBRD||International Bank for Reconstruction and Development|
|8.||PSB||Public Sector Banks|
|9.||PPF||Public Provident Fund|
|10.||NSC||National Savings Certificate|
|11.||NPA||Non- Performing Assets|
|12.||SBI||State Bank of India|
|13.||IDBI||Industrial Development Bank of India|
|14.||UCO||United Commercial Bank|
|15.||IIPE||Indian Institute of Petroleum and Energy|
|16.||GST||Goods and Services Tax|
|17.||NCT||National Capital Territory|
|18.||IBC||Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code|
|19.||LDF||Livestock Disease Forewarning|
|20.||ICAR||Indian Council of Agricultural Research|
|21.||NIVEDI||National Institute of Veterinary Epidemiology and Disease Informatics|
|22.||PSLV||Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle|
|23.||ISRO||Indian Space Research Organisation|
|24.||AAD||Advanced Air Defence|
|25.||IRNSS||Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System|
|26.||ITR||Integrated Test Range|
|28.||SAFF||South Asian Football Federation|
|29.||PETA||People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals|
|30.||UNICEF||United Nations Children’s Fund|
|31.||BCCI||Board of Control for Cricket in India|
|32.||NCB||Narcotics Control Bureau|
|33.||IPS||Indian Police Service|
|34.||ICCR||Indian Council for Cultural Relations|
|35.||SFIO||Serious Fraud Investigation Office|
To fetch the complete list of Important Abbreviations that are asked in Competitive Exam, please visit the blog – Popular Abbreviations for Competitive Exams: SSC, IBPS, RRB, Govt Jobs.
Above in the Weekly Current Affairs & GK Eduwrap, we have covered up all the major happenings of the country and the world to help you in boosting up your General Knowledge and Awareness.
Hope the article will be helpful to you. Please share your generous reviews & queries with us in the comments section below.
To get the daily assistance in preparing for the Government Jobs Exams like – IBPS, SSC & Railways Exams, please stay connected with us on Facebook & YouTube.
You may also like reading –
This post first appeared on IBPS PO 2015 Exam Syllabus & Question Paper Patter, please read the originial post: here