Daily Current Affairs of 8th to 11th September 2019
International Current Affairs
- The World Suicide Prevention Day was observed on 10th September 2019.
- This day is organized by the International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP).
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has been co-sponsor of the day.
- Purpose of this day : To raise awareness around the globe that suicide can be prevented.
- Theme of World Suicide Prevention Day 2019 : ‘Working Together to Prevent Suicide’
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will address the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) session on September 27.
- Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan is also scheduled to address the General Assembly on the same day. .
- President Ram Nath Kovind's 3-nation tour to Slovenia, Iceland and Switzerland made him the 1st Indian President to visit Slovenia.
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh will wisit France in the first week of October 2019.
- In this visit, he will receive the 1st of the 36 Rafale fighter jets in Paris on October 8, which is celebrated as Air Force Day.
- During this visit, he will also hold extensive talks with the top defence brass of the French government on ways to deepen defence and security cooperation with India.
- Prime Minister of St. Vincent and Grenadines Dr. Ralph Everard Gonsalves is on his first ever visit to India.
- During this visit, he met PM Modi and held talks.
- He is also participating in high-level United Nations Convention on Combating Desertification (UNCCD) Symposium, a 12-day conference being held from 2-13 September 2019 at Greater Noida.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Nepal counterpart K P Sharma Oli jointly inaugurated South Asia’s 1st cross-border petroleum products pipeline from Motihari (in Bihar) in India to Amlekhgunj in Nepal through video conference.
- Both leaders also expressed confidence that bilateral relations between India and Nepal will continue to further deepen and expand across diverse sectors.
National Current Affairs
- PM Narendra Modi will launch the Kisan Maan Dhan Yojana tomorrow (September 12) in Ranchi (Jharkhand).
- The scheme shall secure the lives of 5 crore small and marginal farmers by providing a minimum pension of ₹3,000 per month, to those who attain 60 years of age.
- Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh will become 2 separate Union Territories from October 31 but will have a common high court, J&K State Judicial Academy's Director Rajeev Gupta announced today.
- 108 central laws would be applicable for the two UTs, while 164 state laws would be repealed and 166 state laws will continue to be applicable.
- PM Narendra Modi called for a global boycott of single-use plastic at the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) being held in Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
- He said the forest cover in India had gone up by 0.8 million hectares between 2015-17.
- Trees cut for development projects are compensated by planting more trees, PM Modi added.
- Madhya Pradesh government has decided to let people adopt Cows.
- Lifetime adoption will reportedly cost ₹3 lakh while adoption for a year will cost ₹21,000.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the 10,000-acre Aurangabad Industrial City (AURIC).
- Note : This is India's 1st greenfield industrial smart city.
- Indian Railways will help recharge phones of passengers if they use plastic bottle crushing machines installed at stations.
- The step is in a bid to promote Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s initiative to junk single use plastic.
People in News
- 27 year old Anupriya Madhumita Lakra recently became the 1st tribal woman from Maoist-affected Malkangiri district of Odisha to become a commercial pilot.
- Lakra will join the Indigo airline as a co-pilot later this month. Lakra's father, who is a police constable, said that it was difficult for him to fund her pilot training but he took loans.
- Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba's billionaire Co-founder, Jack Ma, stepped down from his role as Chairman on his 55th birthday today.
- Note : Ma co-founded Alibaba in 1999 and is currently the world's 20th richest person with $41.8 billion wealth.
Science & Technology
- ISRO Chairman K Sivan has announced that the exact location of Chandrayaan-2's Vikram lander on the lunar surface has been found.
- The Vikram lander is in a single piece, however, it's in a tilted position.
- The orbiter also clicked a thermal image of the lander through its high-resolution camera.
- Delhi's Indira Gandhi International Airport today announced a 3-month trial of facial recognition entry system for domestic passengers of Vistara airline at Terminal 3.
Banking, Business & Economic Affairs
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has selected Daffodil Software Pvt Ltd to develop a mobile app for the visually impaired to help them identify currency notes.
- India's largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) reduced its lending rate by 10 basis points across all tenors.
- This is the 5th reduction in lending rate from SBI in the Financial Year 2019-20, coming down to 8.15% from 8.25% after it cut repo rates by 1.1% last week.
- China is planning to invest $1 billion in development projects in Pakistan, seeking to boost bilateral ties, Yao Jing, China's Ambassador to Pakistan, recently announced.
Recent Committees in News
- The government has constituted a Task force to identify technically and economically viable infrastructure projects for ₹100 lakh crore investment by 2024-25.
- It will also guide the ministries in identifying appropriate sources of funding and suggest measures to monitor the projects.
- The task force will be chaired by Atanu Chakraborty (Economic Affairs Secretary) and will have 5 other members.
- Union government has constituted a 3-member committee to oversee the bifurcation of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) into 2 union territories and look into distribution of assets and liabilities of J&K between two successor Union territories that will come into existence on October 31.
- Head of the Committee : Sanjay Mitra (former defence secretary)
Awards & Honors
- The names of the winners for Visitor’s Awards 2019 for research in various fields were announced by President’s Secretariat.
- Professor Sibnath Deb : He is from Pondicherry University. He will be awarded for his research in field of child protection, especially his focus on child abuse and neglect, student’s mental health and HIV/AIDS.
- Professor Sanjay Puri : He is from School of Physical Sciences in Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU). He will be awarded for his research in field of non-equilibrium statistical physics and nonlinear dynamics.
- Professor Asad Ullah Khan : He is from Inter-disciplinary Biotechnology Unit in Aligarh Muslim University (AMU). He will be awarded for identifying Antimicrobial resistance (AMR) problem in India: mechanism of spread and control of AMR.
- Dr Partima : She is from Special Centre for Nanoscience in Jawaharlal Nehru University. She will be awarded for her research on nano biosensors and nano-bio interactions especially early-stage cancer diagnosis using nanomaterials bases biosensing platform.
- Dr Shaon Ray Chaudhuri : She is from Department of Microbiology in Tripura University. She is awarded for Technology Development, for developing microbial biofilm reactor for conversion of dairy wastewater into biofertilizer.
- Note : The awards will be conferred by President Ram Nath Kovind at an event to be held at Rashtrapati Bhavan the date for which is yet to be announced.
- Veteran Supreme Court lawyer and former Union Minister Ram Jethmalani (95) passed away.
- He had served as the Law Minister and the Minister of Urban Affairs in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee-led NDA government.
- Some of the high-profile cases handled by Mr. Jethmalani :
- Defending Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi's assassins.
- Represented Amit Shah in the Sohrabuddin encounter case.
- Contested on behalf of Manu Sharma in the Jessica Lal murder case.
- He also represented Kanimozhi, daughter of former Tamil Nadu CM Karunanidhi, in the 2G scam case.
- Actor and Kathak dancer Veeru Krishnan passed away.
- Veeru is best known for his roles in 'Raja Hindustani' and 'Ishq' and has also trained many actors including Priyanka Chopra and Katrina Kaif in Kathak.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the appointment of 1972 batch Gujarat cadre IAS officer, Dr. P.K. Mishra, currently functioning as Additional Principal Secretary to Prime Minister, as Principal Secretary to Prime Minister with effect from today (11th September, 2019).
- The govt has appointed P.K. Sinha, currently functioning as OSD in the Prime Minister's Office, as Principal Advisor to Prime Minister with effect from 11th September, 2019.
- Former Union Minister Kalraj Mishra was sworn in as the Governor of Rajasthan at an oath-taking ceremony held at the Raj Bhawan in Jaipur.
- Rajasthan High Court Chief Justice Shripathi Ravindra Bhat administered the oath of office to Mishra who replaced Kalyan Singh after the completion of his five-year tenure.
- Mishra became the 22nd Governor of the state.
- Senior judge of the Allahabad High Court, Justice Vikram Nath, has been appointed as the Chief Justice of the Gujarat High Court following the Supreme Court Collegium's recommendation sent last month.
Sports Current Affairs
- World number two Rafael Nadal defeated world number five and first-time Grand Slam finalist Daniil Medvedev to win his 4th US Open title.
- Here is the Complete Winners List of US Open 2019
- Men's Singles : Rafael Nadal (Spain)
- Women's Singles : Bianca Andreescu (Canada)
- Men's Doubles : Juan Sebastián Cabal (Colombia) / Robert Farah (Colombia)
- Women's Doubles : Elise Mertens (Belgium) / Aryna Sabalenka (Belarus)
- Mixed Doubles : Bethanie Mattek-Sands (United States) / Jamie Murray (United Kingdom)
- The BCCI today lifted the Rajasthan Cricket Association's (RCA) suspension which was imposed on it in 2014 after it elected ex-IPL chief Lalit Modi as President.
- BCCI also approved RCA's new constitution which falls in line with the Lodha recommendations.
- Note : Jaipur's Sawai Mansingh Stadium wasn't able to host a single international match since October 2013 because of the ban.
- The BCCI has announced a two-year radio rights arrangement with All India Radio (AIR) for live commentary of Team India's matches at home.
- The audio commentary will commence from the first match of India's upcoming T20I series against South Africa on September 15.
- The arrangement also includes domestic tournaments including Ranji Trophy, Irani Cup and Deodhar Trophy among others.
Download PDF Version of 8th to 11th September 2019 Current Affairs from HERE
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here
Download June 2019 Month's Current Affairs PDF File from HERE (New)