Places in News
Dear Great Ambitionists, here are today's (13th August 2019) Important Current Affairs updates. You can download the pdf version of these current affairs from below link. Check complete Daily Current Affairs of the year 2019 from HERE. Happy Reading :)
Daily Current Affairs of 13th August 2019
International Current Affairs
- Today (13th August) is International Lefthanders Day.
- This day was first observed on the 13th of August, in the year 1976.
- People observe this day to promote awareness of the inconveniences faced by left-handers in a predominantly right-handed world.
- External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar held a bilateral meeting with Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi in Beijing yesterday.
- Both leaders discussed the full gamut of issues relating to the international situation, regional aspects and the bilateral relations including the visit of Chinese President Xi Jinping to India for the 2nd Informal Summit later this year.
- The two countries agreed that maintenance of peace and tranquility in border areas was essential for smooth development of relations. For this, the two armed forces had enhanced communication and were implementing various confidence building measures.
- In Sri Lanka, former Defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa has been named as the Presidential candidate of main opposition Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP) at its first national convention in Colombo today.
- Sri Lanka won the war against LTTE in 2009 during Presidency of Mahinda while Gotabaya served as defence secretary.
- Mahinda lost power in 2015 elections but SLPP, a breakaway group of Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP) made a comeback with victory at local body elections in February 2018.
- United National Party (UNP) led by Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe is the other main party which is divided over the issue of Presidential candidate.
- Newly discovered Kajin Sara lake in Nepal is likely to set a new record of being the world’s highest lake.
- The Kajin Sara lake in Manang district was discovered about a few months ago by a team of mountaineer. It is located at Singarkharka area of Chame rural municipality.
MOUs & Agreements
- India and China signed 4 agreements including on Sports, Culture and traditional medicines.
- The 4th agreement is about 'Plan of Action to Implement the Protocol' between the Ministery of External Affairs and the Minsitry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China on Cooperation in Bilateral Relations, 2020.
National Current Affairs
- Indian Army has launched Mission Reach Out in Jammu to ensure basic essential services and necessities are available in region after the abrogation of Article 370 provisions and reorganisation of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar today released a patriotic song titled 'Watan' in New Delhi in the run up to the Independence Day.
- The song has been sung by famous Bollywood singer Javed Ali.
- It has been penned by lyricist Alok Shrivastav and music composed by Dushyant.
- Produced by Doordarshan, the song pays tribute to New India.
- It highlights several path-breaking initiatives of the government including the determination and vision behind the recent successful launch of Chandrayaan 2.
- The song also pays tribute to the bravery and valour of the armed forces and the martyrs of the country.
- Bar Council of India (BCI), the apex bar body has imposed 3 year moratorium on opening of new institutions except for National Law Universities (NLUs), if proposed by a state.
- This decision has been taken to curb mushrooming of law colleges in the country and laying stress on improvement of standard of existing institutions.
Science & Technology
- The Chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), K Sivan today announced that India's 2nd Moon mission Chandrayaan-2 will enter the lunar orbit on August 20.
- The 3,840-kg Chandrayaan-2 spacecraft had successfully entered the fifth orbit around the Earth on August 6 after five orbit-raising manoeuvres.
- The manoeuvre to get the spacecraft out of the Earth's orbit will be performed on August 14.
- Conservative candidate and ex-prison chief Alejandro Giammattei has been elected as the new President of Guatemala.
- Giammattei defeated former first lady Sandra Torres in a run-off yesterday, garnering more than 58 percent of the vote.
Sports Current Affairs
- The Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) today announced that Women's T20 cricket has been included in 2022 Commonwealth Games, which will take place in England's Birmingham.
- Note : The sport last featured in Commonwealth Games in 1998, when South Africa won gold in men's 50-over format competition.
- Canadian teenager Bianca Andreescu won the Rogers Cup after Serena Williams was forced to retire with a back injury while trailing 1-3 in the first set in the final yesterday.
- Indian women's football team was handed a special 3rd-place trophy for their performance at COTIF Cup, Spain by the tournament's President Eliseu Gómez Tormos.
- 23 year old Racer Aishwarya Pissay became the 1st Indian to claim a world title in motorsports after finishing 4th in the final round of the women's category at FIM World Cup in Hungary.
- India U-19 defeated Bangladesh U-19 by 6 wickets at County Ground in England to win the Tri-Nation Under-19s Tournament title.
Download PDF Version of 13th August 2019 Current Affairs from HERE
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here
Download June 2019 Month's Current Affairs PDF File from HERE (New)