Read More -->>
Dear Great Ambitionists, here are today's (28th January 2018) Important Current Affairs updates. Happy Reading :)
Daily Current Affairs of 28th January 2018
International Current Affairs
- Today (28th January) is Data Privacy Day/ Data Protection Day.
- The purpose of this day is to raise awareness and promote privacy and data protection best practices.
- Theme of Data Privacy Day 2018 : "Respecting Privacy, Safeguarding Data and Enabling Trust"
- Today is Anti Leprosy Day.
- Anti Leprosy Day is observed internationally on January 30 or its nearest Sunday to increase the public awareness of the Leprosy or Hansen's Disease.
- This day was chosen in commemoration of the death of Gandhi, who understood the importance of leprosy.
- Pakistan was named on this day (28th January) in the year 1933.
- Muslim nationalist Choudhry Rahmat Ali, who is also known as the Founder of Pakistan National Movement, used 'Pakistan' in his pamphlet 'Now or Never' explaining reasons to establish a separate nation.
- 'Pakistan' referred to the five northern units of India- 'P'unjab, North-West Frontier ('A'fghan) Province, 'K'ashmir, 'S'ind, and Baluchis'tan' (PAKSTAN).
National Current Affairs
- Today is National Immunization Day.
- On the eve of this day, President Ram Nath Kovind launched the Pulse Polio programme 2018 by administering polio drops to children below five years of age at the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- More than 17 crore children of less than five years across the country will be given polio drops as part of the government’s drive to eradicate polio from the country.
- The Oxford Dictionaries announced 'Aadhaar' as its 2017 'Hindi Word of the Year' at the Jaipur Literature Festival today.
- The shortlist included words such as 'Mitron', 'Notebandi', 'Bahubali' and 'Gau-rakshak', among others.
- Today is freedom fighter Lala Lajpat Rai's 153rd birth anniversary.
- He was popularly known as Punjab Kesari.
He was also associated with activities of Punjab National Bank and Lakshmi Insurance Company in their early stages.
- The Union government has approved setting up of the long-awaited Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIIT) at Raichur (Karnataka).
- This is 2nd IIIT in Karnataka after one in Dharwad.