Read More -->>
- Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani is on a Two day visit to India.
- This is his 2nd visit to the country.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi received him and expressed concern over the continued use of terrorism in the region for achieving political gain.
- The two leaders called for an end to all sponsorship, support, safe havens, and sanctuaries to terrorists, including for those who target Afghanistan and India.
- The monthly global temperature analysis by NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) has shown that August 2016 was the hottest August in the last 136 years.
- Note : This year's August and July were reportedly the warmest months in the modern times.
- GISS Director : Gavin Schmidt
- New Zealand PM John Key today announced a ban on forced marriages and introduced family member abuse as a separate offence in a crackdown on domestic violence.
- Note : New Zealand police investigated over 100,000 incidents of family violence last year, with one in every three New Zealand women reporting an experience of sexual or physical abuse in their lifetime.
- The third edition of BRICS Urbanisation Forum Meet has started in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- The three days conference was inaugurated by the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh N. Chandrababu Naidu in the presence of Union Minister of Urban Development, M. Venkaiah Naidu.
- India and Afghanistan signed 3 MoUs after talks between Afghan President Ashraf Ghani and Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi.
- 1st MOU : Mutuala Legal Assistance Treaty
- 2nd MOU : Treaty on extradition.
- 3rd MOU : Peaceful uses of outer space.
- The ten-day celebrations of the harvest festival Onam have begun in Kerala and other parts of the country today.
- The festival, which falls during the Malayalam month of 'Chingam', commemorates the homecoming of King Mahabali.
- Traditional dance forms such as the 'Thiruvathirakali' are performed during the festival, while the 'Vallamkali' (snake boat race) event also takes place.