The Family & Learning Center – Celebrating 30 Years in 2020
A Year of Milestones
Educational Coaching Goes Beyond Tutoring
The Family & Learning Center provides one-on-one Educational Coaching to students age five through adult. We specialize in providing remediation and study/learning skills development to support students with learning and attention challenges, such as dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, ADHD, visual-spatial processing disorder, nonverbal learning disabilities, and executive function deficits. Each student’s program is designed and monitored by Bonnie M. Weiss, M.Ed., Educational Therapist/Owner. Programs are then implemented by the student’s specially trained Educational Coach. The student’s academic, cognitive, and emotional strengths and challenges are considered when developing and executing his/her program. Through these programs, Educational Coaching goes beyond tutoring to focus on remediation in areas of weakness, building learning skills, and teaching the student how to learn.
Learning Disability Support/ Remediation
We offer specialized remediation programs to help students strengthen areas of weak cognitive processing, utilize their strengths, and solidify academic skills. We provide support in the following areas:
- Phonological Processing, Decoding and Spelling using Orton-Gillingham methodology
- Reading Fluency
- Reading Comprehension
- Written Expression, from sentences to essays
- Perceptual Reasoning/Visual Processing
- Mathematical Reasoning/ Number Sense
Study/Learning Skills Development
We help students learn how to learn, by teaching them strategies and introducing tools that they can utilize independently in future coursework. Our goal is to help students learn, understand, and remember course content to be able to apply their knowledge to complete assignments, projects, and tests successfully. We offer support in the following areas:
- Executive Function Skills, including:
- Time management, planning and prioritizing, organization, cognitive flexibility, task initiation, sustained attention, goal-directed persistence, and more
- Study Skills, including:
- Note-taking, elaboration, retrieval practice, spaced practice, dual coding, interleaving, concrete examples, and more
- Reading Comprehension
- Content area support, including standard, honors, and AP courses
Contact our office today at 858-454-7303 or [email protected] to schedule complimentary consultation with Bonnie M. Weiss, M.Ed., Educational Therapist/ Director/ Owner. During this consultation, Bonnie will interview you and/or your child to learn about your child’s strengths, challenges, and current academic concerns. Previous school records and/ or assessments will be reviewed, along with any other information necessary to make a recommendation for an individualized Educational Coaching plan.
The post Celebrating 30 Years in 2020 appeared first on The Family and Learning Center.