The upcoming LCBO VINTAGES Release on features wines from the sunny Mediterranean - which in this release includes wines from France, Italy, Spain, Greece and Lebanon - that are suitable for any table and any budget is the main theme. Meanwhile, the mini-theme is titled "Fun Facts about Fine Wine". These new wines will be on LCBO VINTAGES shelves this .
We'll begin with the main theme that lists fifteen wines from five countries, and while the list is quite respectable, just three wines are included among my top wine picks. First up is the Assyrtiko white wine from Greece that is always delicious and minerally-driven. The second white wine from this section is made with Inzolia, a grape long associated with the production of Marsala fortified wine, but now seen on its own in dry table wine. Lastly, the Château de Tréviac is a lovely blend of 60% Syrah, and 40% Grenache from 35 year old vines.
From the mini-theme of the release, the nine facts are interesting, as well as some of the nine wines listed in this feature, however, just two of these wines are listed among my wine recommendations. The fun fact tied to the New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc is that the Kiwis figured out how to farm sunshine - New Zealand is a cool-climate wine region and, in terms of wine, is rather difficult to get sunshine down there. The second fun fact is related to Brunello di Montalcino wines that are made with 100% Sangiovese using a specific clonal variation (natural mutation) of the grape found in Chianti, and is now found only in Montalcino.
Among my red wine picks from the rest of the release, Syrah/Shiraz plays a large part with three single varietal wines, plus the Gigondas that is a blend of 70% Grenache, 20% Syrah, and 10% Mourvèdre. The 2008 Bordeaux red is fully mature and made with 74% Merlot, 22% Cabernet Franc and 4% Cabernet Sauvignon, while the Barbaresco is made with 100% Nebbiolo.
In white wines, there are a pair of interesting white blends. The Pekin White from South Africa is mostly Chenin Blanc with small amounts Roussanne, Muscat de Frontignan, Viognier and Sémillon, while the Loire white is a blend of Melon de Bourgogne, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, and Folle. For sweet wine lovers, the German Riesling or the Pinot Gris from Alsace are your best bets.
It's always nice to rosé arrive during the winter months, and in this release we have a dry rosé wine from Chile that consists of 56% Cinsault, 25% Syrah, 12% Grenache and 7% Mourvèdre.
Enjoy my top wine picks from this Release! Cheers!
- LUA CHEIA OLD VINES RED 2015 - DOC Douro, Portugal (#266882) (XD) - $13.95
- CHAKANA NUNA ESTATE MALBEC 2016 - Luján de Cuyo, Mendoza, Argentina (#018671) (XD) - $16.95 89 pts wine review
- CHÂTEAU DE TRÉVIAC CORBIÈRES 2015 - AP, Midi, France (#670505) (XD) - $16.95 89 pts wine review
- MOUNT RILEY SYRAH 2016 - Marlborough, South Island, New Zealand (#535856) (XD) - $18.95
- BOSCHENDAL 1685 SHIRAZ 2015 - WO Coastal Region, South Africa (#542787) (XD) - $19.95
- WYNNS COONAWARRA ESTATE SHIRAZ 2015 - Coonawarra, South Australia (#433060) (XD) - $22.95
- BERSANO MANTICO BARBARESCO 2012 - DOCG, Piedmont, Italy (#452805) (XD) - $39.95
- CHÂTEAU LA VIEILLE CURE 2008 - AC Fronsac, Bordeaux, France (#484253) (XD) - $41.95
- E. GUIGAL GIGONDAS 2014 - AC, Rhône, France (#331900) (XD) - $42.95
- LAZZERETTI BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO 2012 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#318352) (D) - $53.95
- AVONDALE JONTY’S DUCKS PEKIN WHITE 2015 - WO Paarl, South Africa (#439554) (XD) - $15.95
- DOMAINE DE LA FRUITIÈRE VIGNES BLANCHES 2015 - IGP Val de Loire, France (#527184) (XD) - $16.95
- RABL KITTMANSBERG GRÜNER VELTLINER 2016 - DAC Kamptal, Austria (#346007) (XD) - $16.95
- FRAMINGHAM SAUVIGNON BLANC 2016 - Marlborough, South Island, New Zealand (#606848) (XD) - $19.95
- PEWSEY VALE SINGLE VINEYARD ESTATE RIESLING 2016 - Eden Valley, South Australia (#686600) (XD) - $19.95
- DARTING DÜERKHEIMER HOCHBENN RIESLING KABINETT 2015 - Prädikatswein, Pfalz, Germany (#523944) (S) - $21.95
- INZOLIA DEI FORNELLI 2016 - DOC Sicilia, Italy (#539932) (XD) - $22.95
- ARGYROS ASSYRTIKO 2016 - PDO Santorini, Greece (#387365) (XD) - $27.95 90 pts wine review
- DOMAINES SCHLUMBERGER KESSLER PINOT GRIS 2012 - AC Alsace Grand Cru, France (#249623) (D) - $29.95
- DOMAINE LAROCHE LES FOURCHAUMES 1 ER CRU CHABLIS 2014 - AC, Burgundy, France (#530162) (XD) - $44.95
- LAPOSTOLLE LE ROSÉ 2016 - Colchagua Valley, Chile (#524967) (XD) - $17.95
- STARS BRUT NATURE RESERVA CAVA 2015 - Traditional method, DO, Spain (#515221) (XD) - $16.95
- PATRICK CHAN SPARKLING BLANC DE BLANCS 2011 - VQA Twenty Mile Bench, Niagara Escarpment, Ontario, Canada (#546291) (D) - $29.95
- VALE MEÃO VINTAGE PORT 2014 - DOP, Portugal (#545046) (S) - $65.95
This post first appeared on LCBO VINTAGES Wine Picks | LCBO Wine Reviews | LCBO Wine Picks, please read the originial post: here