The main focus of the upcoming release into LCBO VINTAGES on is on wines from Napa, while the mini-thematic focuses on the grape varietal Pinot Noir. New wines will be on LCBO shelves across Ontario this coming .
We'll begin with the feature on Napa. The timing of this release couldn't be worse, as we hear about the sad news of the wildfires ravaging Napa and nearby counties of Sonoma and Mendocino. Nevertheless, this release features a few bright wines from Napa, as three of the fifteen wines listed are included among my top wine picks. The single vineyard Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon is at the top of this list and is made with 88% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Cabernet Franc and 4% Petite Verdot. Also in this release is a Petite Sirah (aka Durif) which is an offspring of the Syrah varietal. The last wine is a complex Chardonnay from the Carneros AVA within Napa Valley.
The "Pinot Gallery" was a bit disappointing as only one of the nine Pinots from the mini-theme are included among my wine picks. However, the one Pinot Noir that did make it is a great wine from one of South Africa's top producers - Hamilton Russell.
In red wines from the rest of the release, the Rasteau from Rhône is a blend of 50% Grenache and 50% Syrah, while the Crianza is a blend of 90% Tempranillo and 10% Garnacha / Graciano / Mazuela. From Italy, the Chianti Classico is a blend of 90% Sangiovese and 10% Canaiolo, while the Amarone is a blend of 70% Corvina and Corvinone, and 30% Rondinella.
Among my white wine picks, the Vinho Verde is a blend of Loureiro and Alvarinho, while the rest are all single varietals. If you prefer your wines on the sweeter side, you'll want to check out the Riesling or Gewürztraminer wines, with the Gewürztraminer Kabinett the sweetest of the lot.
For those who prefer very sweet wines, or if you're looking for a nice after dinner dessert wine, any of the Pedro Ximenez, Vintage Port and Vin Santo will satisfy your sweet tooth.
Enjoy my wine recommendations from this release! Cheers!
- LOSI QUERCIAVALLE CHIANTI CLASSICO 2011 - DOCG, Tuscany, Italy (#515478) (XD) - $16.95 reviewed here 89 pts
- CVNE VIÑA REAL CRIANZA 2014 - DOCa Rioja, Spain (#657411) (XD) - $18.95
- SUSANA BALBO SIGNATURE MALBEC 2014 - Uco Valley, Mendoza, Argentina (#079798) (XD) - $19.95 reviewed here 88+ pts
- LAVAU RASTEAU 2014 - AC, Rhone, France (#394650) (XD) - $19.95 reviewed here 89pts
- TABALÍ VETAS BLANCAS RESERVA ESPECIAL CABERNET FRANC 2014 - Limarí Valley, Chile (#514117) (XD) - $19.95
- TABALÍ TALUD CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2014 - Maipo Valley, Chile (#513960) (XD) - $23.95
- STAGS’ LEAP WINERY PETITE SIRAH 2014 - Napa Valley, California, USA (#590356) (XD) - $49.95 reviewed here 90+ pts
- SANTA SOFIA AMARONE DELLA VALPOLICELLA CLASSICO 2011 - DOC, Veneto, Italy (#713669) (XD) - $52.95
- HAMILTON RUSSELL PINOT NOIR 2016 - WO Hemel-en-Aarde Valley, Walker Bay, South Africa (#999516) (XD) - $57.95
- TWO HANDS LILY’S GARDEN SHIRAZ 2015 - McLaren Vale, South Australia (#683086) (XD) - $59.95
- ROBERT MONDAVI RESERVE CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2013 - To Kalon Vineyard, Oakville, Napa Valley, California, USA (#670463) (XD) - $149.95
- MARIA PAPOILA VINHO VERDE 2015 - DOC, Portugal (#408146) (D) - $15.95
- BARON DE HOEN RÉSERVE GEWURZTRAMINER 2015 - AC Alsace, France (#377721) (D) - $18.95
- BELLVALE ATHENA’S VINEYARD CHARDONNAY 2014 - Gippsland, Victoria, Australia (#521245) (XD) - $19.95
- DARTING DÜRKHEIMER NONNENGARTEN GEWÜRZTRAMINER KABINETT 2015 - Prädikatswein, Pfalz, Germany (#944181) (S) - $19.95
- FIELDING ESTATE BOTTLED RIESLING 2016 - VQA Beamsville Bench, Niagara Escarpment, Ontario, Canada (#251439) (D) - $19.95 reviewed here 89pts
- SAINT CLAIR WAIRAU RESERVE SAUVIGNON BLANC 2016 - Marlborough, South Island, New Zealand (#415653) (XD) - $34.95
- CLOS PEGASE MITSUKO’S VINEYARD CHARDONNAY 2014 - Estate grown, Carneros, Napa Valley, California, USA (#986737) (XD) - $34.95 reviewed here 91 pts
- BACHELDER SAUNDERS VINEYARD CHARDONNAY 2013 - VQA Beamsville Bench, Niagara Escarpment, Ontario, Canada (#324103) (XD) - $44.95
- MARCHESI DE’ FRESCOBALDI CASTELLO DI POMINO VIN SANTO 2008 - DOC, Tuscany, Italy (#661249) (M) (500 mL) - $42.95
- ALVEAR PEDRO XIMENEZ DE AÑADA 2014 - DOP Montilla-Moriles, Spain (#499152) (S) (375 mL) - $24.95
- DOW’S QUINTA DO BOMFIM VINTAGE PORT 2005 - Bottled in 2007, DOP, Portugal (#515544) (S) (375 mL) - $31.95
This post first appeared on LCBO VINTAGES Wine Picks | LCBO Wine Reviews | LCBO Wine Picks, please read the originial post: here