The recent discovery of a Christian religious plaque dating back 1,500 years is a reminder of how long the charming Town of Estepona has been a desirable area in which to live.
Discovered during archaeological work in the old town street of Pozo de los Palos, the plaque, inscribed with a monogram formed by the Greek letters Chi and Rho (to stand for Christ) and flanked by Alpha and Omega (an allusion to Christ’s words “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end”—Revelation 22,13), dates back to the 5th or 6th century. Now being restored, the plaque will be put on display in the municipal museum.
The old town district of Estepona has undergone extensive renovation in the past few years, and its whitewashed buildings and narrow streets are a throwback to a bygone age, with the town retaining a real flavour of days gone by.
New Golden Mile villas and apartments
Residents of the modern developments that flank the old centre, particularly those apartments and villas fronting the sandy beached coastline and along the New Golden Mile, can enjoy the same laid-back atmosphere that seems to envelop Estepona—and make the most of its Historic appeal.
While there are remnants of the castle walls (built after Muslim rule in Estepona ended in 1457) and the old town hall—now a museum—are still visible, much of ancient Estepona is tucked away. Its charm rests in wandering the winding streets so redolent of the famous white villages of Andalucía and simply soaking up the atmosphere.
Historic sites in Estepona
Those looking to find ancient monuments, apart from the Moorish and Christian watchtowers dotted along the coast, don’t have far to go. Just east of the town, on the sea side of the main road and opposite the Palacio de Congresos y Exposiciones can be found the Aqueduct of Saladavieja. It was part of an irrigation system that watered the fertile valley and consists of Moorish arches built on what were probably Roman and Visigothic foundations. The original well and large water tank still exist too. Another well/aqueduct/water tank system can be seen at the nearby Hacienda Beach urbanisation.
Other sights to see include the Torre de Reloj, or Clock Tower. After the reconquest of the town by Enrique IV, he ordered a church built on the site of the old mosque, which in turn had been built upon an earlier church or Roman temple. This tower is all that remains of the ecclesiastical building that was completed in 1473.
The Nuestra Señora de Los Remedios church in the Plaza San Francisco was built in the 18th century and just outside town is the Ermita del Calvario. Originally dating back to the 19th century, it is thought to have been used to house lepers originally before being used later as a hermitage. The structure is not as old as it looks though, as it was nearly totally rebuilt after being destroyed in the civil war.
If you would like to share in this historic town’s enviable lifestyle, please contact us. We have a fine selection of villas and apartments for sale in Estepona.