Get Even More Visitors To Your Blog, Upgrade To A Business Listing >>

Working in Alaska what to bring

What to bring when working in Alaska:

      These Items are in addition your normal travel items.
If you wintering over 1 October – 30 April Winter gear is required.
       1.    Parker/ Winter Jacket with hood
       2.    Wool or warm hat
       3.    Winter gloves
       4.    Winter Coverall’s
       5.    Thermal Underwear
       6.    Sweat shirts, sweaters and T-Neck’s
       7.    Face mask
       8.    Spike’s for bottom of boots 
       9.    Vaseline and/or Vicks (Winter is dry..)
      10. Hand Lotion
       11.  Flashlight
       12.  Alarm Clock
       13.  Electronics-Laptop, Camera & Tripod, Memory card and USB Stick

If you’re doing the summer 1 May - 30 September Summer cloths
        1.    Rain gear (Pants and Jacket)  
        2.    Sweat shirt
        3.    Hiking boots
        4.    Shower Shoes for the shared bathrooms.
        5.    Summer clothes
        6.    Bring some warm clothes in case it is cold
        7.    Jacket with hood
        8.    BUG SPRAY for May – July
        9.    Suntan lotion
10.      Hat
11.      Sneakers, bathing suits and fun stuff
12.      Electronics – Camera & Tripod, Laptop, etc.
13.      Don’t forget USB stick or Memory cards for devices
14.      Flashlight
15.      Alarm Clock
16.      Water bottle

NOTE:Yes Cell phones on AT&T and Verizon work in Healy, but you won’t get a signal in Denali National Park.

NOTE:Make sure your laptop is WIFI capable.  Lots of locations in Healy/Denali  and the surrounding Hotels have WIFI.  Be patient as WIFI is slow.

NOTE: Camera and Tripod bring no matter what time of year you come. Bring a Tripod.  The only time you will be able to get the Northern Lights and stars are during the winter. During the summer the sky never gets truly black.

NOTE:  The Rooms don’t have Air Condition. So get a fan there are only 10-15 days during the summer that it really gets hot.

NOTE: In most places where employee housing is provided anyone under 16 cannot reside. It is and 18 and over environment.  And there is NO Alcohol Consumption in the common areas. Alcohol is either consumed in the bar or in your room and only if you are over 21 years old.

All employers housing rules are a little different so check with your specific employer.

NOTE: Almost all companies in the Denali Region charge employees for housing and meals.  Check with your specific employer.

This post first appeared on Lisa's Alaska Adventure, please read the originial post: here

Share the post

Working in Alaska what to bring


Subscribe to Lisa's Alaska Adventure

Get updates delivered right to your inbox!

Thank you for your subscription