- “Rose Hill, wedged between Beau Bassin and Quatre Bornes in the middle of the Central Plateau conurbation, is virtually a suburb of Port Louis and a major cultural centre for Mauritius.
- The town sits at the foot of the impressive Corps de Garde mountain and retains a few interesting old buildings from the colonial era.
- It also has a reputation as a cheap place to shop, particularly for imported Indian textiles.
Getting there and away
- There are regular buses from Port Louis and Curepipe to Rose Hill, and from Rose Hill to Centre de Flacq on the east coast.” Source: Lonely Planet Guide
- “Beau Bassin-Rose Hill, town, the second largest settlement on the island of Mauritius in the western Indian Ocean.
- It lies on the western slope of the island, just south of Port Louis, the capital.
- The town was originally two separate communities, Beau Bassin and Rosehill but these have now merged into one, as a consequence of the rapidly increasing island population.
- The town is a busy market and shopping centre and a residential suburb.
- The British Council Library is located in Beau Bassin-Rose Hill, along with some secondary schools and law courts. Pop. (2005 est.) 108,339.” Source: Encyclopædia Britannica
- “Beautiful Basin - Rose Hill is a township covering an area of about 20.2 Km2 for a population of over 100,000. The Municipal Council of beautiful basin - Rose Hill is the local authority responsible for the township.
- The Beau - Basin Sugar Factory, which was built in 1788, was closed in 1868 and the land was parcelled out.
- The residential area of Beau-Bassin attracted businessmen, traders and professionals.
- Their residences were known as The Oaks, Harewood Park gold Llewellyn Castle.
- The then village of Beau-Bassin was created on the 1st November 1877.
- Now, it is renowned for its mix of both: lively atmosphere for residential purposes and concentrated commercial and industrial areas.
- The areas under the jurisdiction of the then four Village Councils of clovers, pleasure and Stanley, all three in Rose Hill, as well as mount rocks in Beau Bassin, were added to the town in 1963.
- These newly-added localities, together with an extension to Beau Bassin (comprising 260 acres), covered some 1.204 acres wherein lived 24,862 inhabitants.
- The ruins of the viaduct leading to the forming small pleasure Aloe fiber Factory are still visible on the southern side of diagonal Avenues, Rose Hill.
- In 1964, an area of 440 acres in the North, from Chebel Branch Road to the Old Railway Track - known as Coromandel - was designated.
- There was then an extra town population of 7,500.
- Now, the township of Grand Bassin - Rose Hill, comprising Chebel and fragmentation since 1991 covers an area of 20.2 Km2.
Places of Interest:
- Built in 1930, the Beau-Bassin Market offers the same facilities as that of Rose-Hill, but on a scale reduced with only 42 market stalls.
- Balfour Garden Five acres for recharging, alone, in family or lovers: this is the Balfour garden summarized in a few words.
- Place of relaxation by excellence, it hosts hundreds of visitors per week. Its assets? They are many.
- Between playgrounds (slides, swings, small train) and the century-old turtles, the Balfour garden park invites you to discover its large green spaces, its centuries-old trees, the sweet sound of streams and the melodious singing of birds.
- Located on the shores of the great River-North-West, the garden offers an exceptional view of a waterfall, which has just died a hundred metres below lush Gorge.
- At the top of this same gorge rises the "Tabor", beautiful White House which belongs to the Diocese of Port Louis. Property of the municipality of Beau-basin/Rose-Hill since 1950, the public garden will be a second youth: swimming pool will be converted into a jet of water, a new basin as well as a 350-metre jogging trail will emerge.
Daniel Jewellery Garden
- It is an oasis of freshness in this much frequented town centre.
|Germain Comarmond Family Garden |
- At Plaisance, a suburban area of Rose Hill has a sheltered fair.
- Here local vegetable growers and other vendors offer their produce or articles to consumers every week.
- There are 246 stalls.
Promenade Roland Armand
- Do his jogging in downtown? It is possible for Beau-basin/Rose-Hill through the Promenade Roland Armand.
- These two kilometres of asphalted runway surrounded by Greenbelt allow joggers of all ages walk down the street Vandermeersch to Beau-Bassin, or the back to Rose-Hill for the more courageux…
- Meat, fish, chicken, pork, vegetables, is found on 287 Rose-Hill market stalls.
- Built in 1930, the market was partially rebuilt in 1954.
- Today, it is the most important of the country, after the market Central de Port - Louis.
- A modern market project is currently its path.” Source: Municipal Council of Beau Bassin Rose Hill
“Sculpture and Painting
- Unlike in the Seychelles, the works of Mauritius artists are not widely displayed or available.
- There are plenty of 18th and 19th century prints of such scenes, but the originals must have gone back to France and Britain years ago.
- For contemporary paintings and sculpture, there is the Max Boulle Gallery at Rose Hill, and the Port Louis Art Gallery.” Source: Mauritius Delight.com
- As an alternative to say, Africa, the Algarve, Majorca or Tuscany, Mauritius (Maurice) is now generally regarded as one of the best areas for travel and tourism in the world.
- The western coast in particular, offers white, sandy, tropical beaches flanked by beautiful coral lagoons, spectacular volcanic mountain scenery, tropical fauna and flora and an all-year-round sunny climate (annual temperatures varying from about 26 - 30 degrees C.) making this area an ideal choice for your holiday of a lifetime!
- Just imagine chilling out on the beach or under the filao trees…or trying water sports, banana boat rides, scuba diving (training and qualifications available), snorkelling, fishing, boating, walking, horse riding, tennis, golf, enjoying the night life and great hospitality…barbeques and sega dancing on the beach, awesome extinct volcanic mountains, sugar cane plantations, colonial history, hot sunny days…the list seems endless and you'll want to come back for more!
- Many excellent, self catering apartments for rent or vacation rentals now offer a great alternative to the more expensive hotel resorts on the island.
- They offer better value for money than best hotel deals in Mauritius, budget or cheap hotels, beach accommodation rentals or holiday homes in the form of fully furnished apartments or villas at a fraction of the cost.
- With relatively lower rental rates they have opened the door to more visitors being able to afford to stay and benefit the island’s economy.
- The bus service is Government-subsidized and a very low-cost way of travelling around but not very comfortable!
- Or if you are more interested in the history and culture of Mauritius you can explore the island's turbulent colonial past and diversity of people.
- You will see dramatic rolling landscapes of sugar cane rising to meet the awe-inspiring mountains in the Black River Gorge, declared a national park in 1997 as Le Morne on the coast, visible from many miles is a poignant reminder of the precarious sanctuary of runaway slaves.
Anitas Affordable Bookstore
Books and FREE Ebooks
Books and E-Books Borrow or Buy
1. Budget Vacations Europe
2. Adventure Vacations Canada
3. Historical Fiction
5. Personal Journals
6. Photographs Nain Tourism Nunatsiavut, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
7. Vacations Canada
9. Self-catering Accommodation Mauritius
10. Volunteering, Voluntary Service Overseas, VSO
1. Budget Vacations Europe
Photographs of Rome Italy
Photographs of Rome Italy consists of 100 coloured photographs taken from 10-17 October 2004 which emphasise the ancient history of the city. Llewelyn Pritchard M.A. ISBN/EAN13:1481018698 / 10:9781481018692
Malaga -Torremolinos Spain
Malaga -Torremolinos A Spanish Budget Holiday. Photographs of a budget-based Spanish holiday and useful background information about Malaga -Torremolinos situated on the Costa del Sol, Spain. Llewelyn Pritchard M.A. ISBN-13: 978-1468040333 ISBN-10: 1468040332
https://www.amazon.com/Nice-France-Holiday-short-break-Illustrated/dp/1468045474/ref=la_B0061KYLG2_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1341997755&sr=1-20 https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/247374 Nice France Holiday [English Edition]
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/247425 Nice France Holiday Un Presupuesto Corto Descanso [Spanish Edition] Nice France Holiday. Brighten-up your days and nights by enjoying all the Fun of the Carnival along the Promenade Anglais; the Flower Market; Parcs; Harbour and Old Nice in this most enjoyable, whistle-stop tour of a short-break budget holiday in Nice, France. Llewelyn Pritchard MA. ISBN-13: 978-1468045475 ISBN-10:1468045474
Pope John Paul II, Vatican City